Many Dominicans Returning From Europe and US With Government Help

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Because of the crisis in Europe and the U.S., more and more Dominicans return to their homeland. Every day, entire families arrive at the International Airport Las Americas in Santo Domingo. Especially Spain has much to suffer from the crisis and is now plagued by high unemployment, especially among the youth.[/h]
[h=5]Unemployment among the Dominicans there is even higher. Firstly because many are there illegally, and because the level of education among Dominicans is very low. They often work in small businesses such as beauty salons, barber shops, cafes, small restaurants or a car wash. Many of them bought an apartment on credit. Now that they are unemployed, they can not pay the mortgage and they are thrown out of their homes. President Danilo has reached out the helping hand in the form of a plane ticket, to return. Also in Sos?a (Charamicos and Sos?a Abajo) in recent months dozens of Dominicans have returned from Spain and the USA. Previously they sent money every month to their families in Sos?a, now they have to hold their hands up with their families.[/h]

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Is the situation really that bad for Dominicans abroad? It seems to be it's the exact opposite in the US. Many Dominicans are still finding it tough to come to the US due to immigration laws.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's exactly what the article says. many dominicans in europe or USA overstayed their visas so they cannot apply for any kind of help, as illegal immigrants. sometimes they can but do not know how to. many have very little education, they do not speak the language of their host country well and may have problems finding new employment.

on the other hand some dominicans, who have a good and desirable set of skills will not suffer that much and still do well.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Yep. Times are bad everywhere.

I don't mind immigrants in the U.S. and didn't mind it when I lived there. But I did mind illegal immigrants and I did mind when they couldn't speak English. It's one thing to not want to speak English all the time and if you are talking among friends that is fine, but you should know how to speak and read it when you need to. And yes I do have my very own cedula here in the DR and I do speak, read and write Spanish. Maybe I'm not an expert but I can fill out paperwork and talk to government workers.

As dv8 said if they are illegal then the article is spot on. If they are legal and have some schooling and a good job they may still be OK. Even if they didn't have much schooling but were legal they could benefit from government programs just as any other U.S. citizen would as long as they knew what to do. Not knowing English could be a problem for getting some of the needed help.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
I feel bad for the ones who legally got papers and entered the country to work. I feel bad for those who crossed the borders illegally. They did the same thing that the white people did from Europe for hundreds of years which is ok. They entered the USA when it was not theirs and began to work and act like it was theirs.

I do not feel sorry for the ones who are scum and laid down and said I love you which was a lie to get western union money and green cards and visas before they got a divorce or breakup with the person or some crazy crap after they get their visa and green card. The US immigrations knows that the DR has a terrible reputation for being full of dishonest people who fake like they love someone to get their papers to enter the USA. In some cases, elaborate schemes are setup with people lying and cheating and faking for their friend, family or neighborhood member to try to make the foreigner think it is a real relationship just so they can get their papers too or get money sent to them. That type of stuff is sickening to me and those people deserve to go back without work anyway.

GKLSY

Sep 7, 2009
Almost all information, especially government information, in the US is provided in Spanish as well as English. (This is a sore spot with many Americans who feel they shouldn't have to "press one" for English.)

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
For those who keep finding these terrible women in the DR doing these things, what do you expect to find at a tourist bar? Here is no different than many other poor countries looking for a way out or something better. If you look for love from a 20 year old at a tourist bar chances are you will get scammed. Heck, if you are 40+ years old living in the U.S. or any European country and look for love from a 20 year old local at the bar chances are you will get scammed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Almost all information, especially government information, in the US is provided in Spanish as well as English. (This is a sore spot with many Americans who feel they shouldn't have to "press one" for English.)

Yes indeed. I am one of those Americans.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

LOL. Try being Canadian.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
Actually, I hear what you are saying but it is not correct. The DR is known for scams. I have a friend who works for the USCIS. Each country has a profile and the consulate knows to look out for it because they see it happen all day everyday. Only the DR has soo many scams. They keep percentages of the marriage and visa scams for each country. DR is the highest and I think Thailand is the second. There are lots of countries out there that are poorer than the dr or at least as poor. No other country has as many scams. Then when they get into the country, the sad thing is only the DR and Senegal have such poor and ghetto immigrants who normally are poor and in ghettos in the USA and have dumped off their help to get into the country within I think 8 months on average.

Something in the cultures is just very dishonest and has no limits. There are cases where people from 18-95 have been scammed by DR residents. It is not just an old sugar daddy or sugar mommy thing. They actually prey on anyone they can get to and lie to get visas. Most other countries at least have decency and limits and consciences.

I love the DR with all my heart but i do know the truth. I have seen so many people get scammed. I do know that there are lots of "tigueres" people who are con artists just working schemes instead of living decent lives in it.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I know the situation in Spain is dire, in the US not so much...things are picking up quickly here...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Actually, I hear what you are saying but it is not correct. The DR is known for scams. I have a friend who works for the USCIS. Each country has a profile and the consulate knows to look out for it because they see it happen all day everyday. Only the DR has soo many scams. They keep percentages of the marriage and visa scams for each country. DR is the highest and I think Thailand is the second. There are lots of countries out there that are poorer than the dr or at least as poor. No other country has as many scams. Then when they get into the country, the sad thing is only the DR and Senegal have such poor and ghetto immigrants who normally are poor and in ghettos in the USA and have dumped off their help to get into the country within I think 8 months on average.

Something in the cultures is just very dishonest and has no limits. There are cases where people from 18-95 have been scammed by DR residents. It is not just an old sugar daddy or sugar mommy thing. They actually prey on anyone they can get to and lie to get visas. Most other countries at least have decency and limits and consciences.

I love the DR with all my heart but i do know the truth. I have seen so many people get scammed. I do know that there are lots of "tigueres" people who are con artists just working schemes instead of living decent lives in it.

There maybe some truth in what you say but basically I think you are full of it. I don't belive you have a friend that has access to statistics that have Dominicans as the number one scam artist country. For one they don't even come close to the scams that East Indians and Pakistanis have. In Canada the Lebanese are considered the number one scam artist country. If the DR was that highly rate the number of VISAs issued would dy up, it hasn't, it has actually grown.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Voluntary repatriation has been occurring for quite a few years now. The government has data for the one's that asked for what's known as a carta de ruta, which any Dominican can requested at any Dominican embassy or consulate. But the actual number of Dominicans emigrating back to the country is unknown. People that can actually finance their own repatriation and have a valid passport, will and are repatriating and these are not counted at any level.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
vacanodr - I have no doubt they are here and maybe at a higher percentage than most places. And I have no doubt they are looking for me and any other expats or tourists. But if they are doing that they are mostly looking for us at the tourist bars after we have had a few or the massage parlors guys willing go to. Most but not all are also going to be younger because it will attract more suckers and then they can take care of their whole family. If you were sitting at home deciding who was going to look for the tourist tonight you would pick the 20 year old daughter before you would pick her mother. And if we are going to be open to talking to those girls then what happens will happen.

I'm sure it does happen more from the DR, but maybe that is because unfortunately the DR is one of the most common places that folks go looking for those bar girls. Many don't intend to ever bring one back home but after their one magical night they fall in love. Some other countries like Thailand or Philippines may actually get more traffic overall from guys around the world, but the DR is closer to the U.S. I would bet that 99 out of every 100 scams happen to someone who was looking for the wrong thing in the wrong place and didn't have the right mindset or common sense.

The best way for anyone to protect themselves is not to condemn an entire group of people. Rather it is to learn some common sense and make sure your brain is always turned on and tuned in to what is happening around you. Else you will become another statistic, another one scammed no matter where you are.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There maybe some truth in what you say but basically I think you are full of it. I don't belive you have a friend that has access to statistics that have Dominicans as the number one scam artist country. For one they don't even come close to the scams that East Indians and Pakistanis have. In Canada the Lebanese are considered the number one scam artist country. If the DR was that highly rate the number of VISAs issued would dy up, it hasn't, it has actually grown.

since you assert that the poster does not have access to the statistics, and is therefore full of it, can you tell us YOUR source of the statistics regarding East Indians and Pakistanis?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
since you assert that the poster does not have access to the statistics, and is therefore full of it, can you tell us YOUR source of the statistics regarding East Indians and Pakistanis?

It is much easier to not trust any of em!

As for statistics? Well,,,, come on people, we all know that statistically, statistics are more often utter crap!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the basic reality regarding this repatriation issue is pretty elementary. people can get a visa to reside in the USA by one of two basic methods. they can either request one themselves, or they can be sponsored. requesting one on your own comes with the complication that you need to show that you have some degree of education and skill which will be to the advantage of the USA.
my instinct is that most Dominicans who enter the USA legally have been sponsored by relatives. the simple reason has to do with education. only 18% of Dominicans who migrate to the USA have tertiary education. what this means is that when the economy takes a nosedive, these people are the ones who are going to be hurt the most. they basically work in low income jobs, and do not have much of a financial backbone, in terms of savings, due to their lack of discretionary income. i read a release that the Dominicans have the second lowest per capita income of all immigrant groups into the USA. i have been struggling to find the data, which states that the Indians are at the top, and the Colombians are dead last. when the crap hits the fan, they will be the first to have economic problems, and probably have to go back home.