Shotguns

cruzan

May 3, 2006
I have heard so many different stories about the legalities of guns in the DR. I have heard that if you have a pistol you need a permit and have to renew it every year. I have heard that if you have a shotgun, you either
a. do not need a permit if you keep it at home,,(private ) or
b. you need a permit but you get a 'permanent' permit meaning no renewal, ever.

I was also told that in order to get a shotgun,,,you need a passport, cedula, and residency card,,,pay the money and walk out the door with the gun. No waiting period.
Does anyone know the real truth ?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I don't know about shotguns but I have a hand gun. You do need a permit and you do have to renew it. Be careful who you buy from. Just like most other countries, permit or no permit, if you have a stolen gun or one that was used in a crime the police can take it. Assuming they will know. I had mine in my car with me when I was stopped at a routine point check one time. They asked if I had a gun and I said yes and showed them the permit. They took the gun to ensure it was not "dirty". I had to go to the police station to pick it up after about a week. No problems, gave it back. Just one week without it was the only problem.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When I got my shotgun:I used my existing hand gun permit, the guy in the shop took a copy and he did the paperwork for the shotgun permit
U do not need to renew ure shotgun permit.
U cannot walk out with the shotgun, 30 days later I drove from pop to santo domingo to pick it up at that military place.

This was 4 or 5 years ago so perhaps it has changed, but I guess not.My wife says with one hand gun permit, u can own 2 hand guns or a ha d gun and a shotgun(???). So I can imagine u do need to go through the hassle of obtaining a gun permit, shotgun or handgun alike. I ve never bothered with a permit, only my wife has one.

Ps: get a shotgun with a stock, mine has only a pistol cross and it murders ure hand when fired....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as I know all guns are picked up in Santo Domingo be they shotguns or pistols (9mm max caliber).
You have to be a legal resident or a citizen to purchase a shotgun or a pistol.
Shotgun licenses are "permanent" while pistol licenses are renewed annually by taking a drug test at the approved clinic and paying the annual fee at Banco Popular. In order to get a weapon for the first time you have to take a psych test.

I do not believe the police have the right to take your gun if you have a valid license for it. The serial numbers of that weapon are on the license for that weapon and it should already be "clean" if you have a valid license.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
The police have a right to take ure gun if ure licence has what they call 1 or 2 "faltas" on it, its a X on the left bottom back. U get faltas either by renewing ure permit late or if u have used ure gun(like shooting somone or waving it around). Try not to get a falta, cos its murder to get rid of, and they always ask why u faulted. (I ve never shot anyone, just didnt pay the renewal o e year cos I was abroad, and only got round to doing it when I got back).

malko

Jan 12, 2013
If u seach around for special deals and dont mind eastern european brands, u can find them at 20 000 pesos. Mine is carandai, turkish I think, thank god I never need to shoot it....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Malko, if you never need to shoot it, # 1., why did you buy it?
AND, #2, how dcan it hurt your hand if you don't "Fire It"?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Guns are expensive here. Yes you do have to pick them up in Sto Dgo. At least I got mine. I guess they send them there to get "cleared" at first. Good point about the "falta". I never got one yet and hopefully never will. It can be a big problem if you use your gun and don't have a permit so be careful with that. Also, if you are carrying it anywhere and don't have a permit they can take it and not give it back. You have some protection if your wife has a permit but technically that means the gun should be in her possession and not yours and only she can shoot it. The hope is you never have to worry about it but one day you might need it which is why you have it in the first place. If you paid for the gun, pay for the permit. But you do have to at least have your residency first before you can do that.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Criss, I own a shotgu and a hand gun in the hope I will never need to shoot someone. I live in isolated countryside and no police nearby.
I test fire both guns once a month or so just to be sure they work(and let the rest odf the world know they work). My point was its a cheap shotgun and I wouldnt want to put thousands of rounds through it in case it blows my bloody hand off....... I would say a gun is like a condom, ure better off leaving the house with one even if u have no intention of putting it to use......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just asking.
The first time I fired a shotgun, I put the butt against my chin, because I didn't want to hurt my shoulder!
It wasn't as bad as when I touched my tongue against the hot iron, because I didn't want to burn my finger!
Or when I stuck my tongue to the rear bumper of my dad's 49 Ford at 10 below Zero!
Or,Or,Or,Or.................................
ps., What's a "Condum"????????? I've used a "Shotgun" before.:nervous::nervous::nervous:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You do not buy guns here, if you need to kill someone or yourself, 5mil pesos will get you both, but if you want suicide then don't ask PN, they'll miss your head from point blank, and you'll end up with a grazed ear!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Never thinking of the consequence, they do seem to stretch their neck out in agonizing prolonged pain, and forget about the shotgun by the bed! Even my best buddy today, I feel should kill himself. Changing the water pump, he just started hitting it, I asked WTF are you doing Victor you dick, 'if you hit it, it gives in easier'. I do agree but he broke three joints in the process. Tap them, don't kill them.