agri-tourism

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hi folks. Looking for a place where food is cultivated and served on-site. Most of the eco-tourism is the rafting, zip-line variety. I am looking for something more like a slow food experience. A lechon asado, pan roasted coffee, fresh casava bread. In puerto Rico the term for a self sufficient country person is jibaro. Not sure if the same word applies in DR. Obviously not looking for a fancy place. Nor do I want to be rude and take a poverty tour. Too many you tube posts of gringos wandering around batey's. I want to explore the central areas more so than the coastal towns. Travel by guagua and taxi.

Thanks in advance. I have learned much from reading hundreds of the posts on this site. #1 Rent don't buy!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not sure you will find all in one place... maimon is famous for its fresh fish and seafood. constanza has locally grown organic vegetables and fruits. close to altamira there is a chocolate factory selling hand made sweets. there are casave makers up in the mountains, around san jose de something (i never remember, ocoa? las matas?).

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Jibaro in PR = Cibae?o in DR = Guajiro in Cuba. El Cibao is situated in the central mountain region of the DR, a region that boasts the most beautiful scenery DR has to offer, in addition to being the agricultural center of the country. This may be where you want go, i.e., Jarabacoa, Constanza, y por ahi.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
agri-tourism

Look into Taino Farms near Jamoa el Norte between Sabeneta and Moca on the North coast. Organic farming and permaculture.

bob

Mar 1, 2009
What is a slow food experience? I think I had one 20 minutes ago and it wasn't nice. I've heard about slow food and I could google it but I'd rather someone tell me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
slow food? easy. any stuff piled up on your plate so high it takes you an hour to eat it. and the rest of the day to digest.
:devious:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hi folks. Looking for a place where food is cultivated and served on-site. Most of the eco-tourism is the rafting, zip-line variety. I am looking for something more like a slow food experience. A lechon asado, pan roasted coffee, fresh casava bread. In puerto Rico the term for a self sufficient country person is jibaro. Not sure if the same word applies in DR. Obviously not looking for a fancy place. Nor do I want to be rude and take a poverty tour. Too many you tube posts of gringos wandering around batey's. I want to explore the central areas more so than the coastal towns. Travel by guagua and taxi.

Thanks in advance. I have learned much from reading hundreds of the posts on this site. #1 Rent don't buy!

I remember an Italian NGO called UCODEP that had a similar project, but it was all based on coffee and showing people how it`s processed and grown. You could also pay to stay at locals`homes and experience real Dominican country life.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ucodep was the NGO behind the Ruta del Caf? in Salcedo when we visited, but the idea was to hand it over to the local guides once they were trained and ready.