No duty on items under $200 US except for TVs?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many are aware that there is a customs regulation so that any item imported to the DR under $200 US in value is exempt from customs duties. This works very well for EncargoPaq, Transexpress, EPS, etc. EXCEPT when you try to import a flat screen TV. I am spefically talkign about using one of those freight fowarders and not ones like Montero or Awilda for the purposes of this discussion.

Why does DR customs not obey their own regulations?

Has anyone used the companies I mention above to import a TV with a value up to $199.99 US and only pay the shipping costs incurred from the weight of the shipment without any duty?

For example here is a list of currently available TV's from TigerDirect for under $200. They occasionally have a 32 inch TV on sale for $199.99:

TV between $100.00 and $199.99 LED Display Type at TigerDirect.com

In specific I am asking for the legal reasons customs does not obey their own regulations.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Unfortunately customs regulations are seldom enforced accurately. More often then not I have discovered it is the "mood" of the customs official at that point in time in the day as to what will be charged and what will not be charged.

For example, I brought in some shirts in two packages. Both identical packaging, same number of shirts, same types of shirts but they came in about a week apart from each other. I was charged a huge difference between the two. When I argued with customs about it they basically said "it is what I say it is". They know I'm not going to fight in court for a few hundred bucks but I guess they needed a new golf club for their Easter vacation <shrug>

Consider it a gift if they only charge you what the tariff should actually be!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is no reason, this is the DR. As for the tv just repack it, remove all the cables, stickers etc that id it as a tv, and voila you are bringing in a computer monitor.

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
I and my husband have brought in a total of 4, 32 inch flat screens in our luggage (on different occasions) we did remove cables, stickers etc..as zoomzx11 had recommended. My husband was stopped once and stated it was a computer monitor and there was no problem. I am sure there will come a time when we are not so lucky, lol

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is no reason, this is the DR. As for the tv just repack it, remove all the cables, stickers etc that id it as a tv, and voila you are bringing in a computer monitor.

This is not a question about bringing at TV in on an airplane. Been there and done that twice with no charge. This is about using freight forwarders of the type I mentioned in my OP.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just got an official response from EncargoPaq about shipping TVs

Good afternoon:

Unfortunately DR customs don't go by those specials in the US, they have a list price here and they go by that, regardless the tv costs 150 in the US.

So very sorry but that law does not apply in the DR customs for importing TVs.

Very clearly the Customs Department of the DR is not transparent. Yes I already knew this.

My question is now for our legal adviser here on DR1:

Is what DR customs is doing by setting their own price on TVs for duty purposes that are sold in the US for under $200 US actually legal?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Very clearly the Customs Department of the DR is not transparent. Yes I already knew this.

My question is now for our legal adviser here on DR1:

Is what DR customs is doing by setting their own price on TVs for duty purposes that are sold in the US for under $200 US actually legal?

I am not the legal adviser here on DR1 but DR customs use their own lists with prices for all items. These are "regular" prices. When there is a "special" you still have to pay import duty when the normal price is more than US$ 200.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not the legal adviser here on DR1 but DR customs use their own lists with prices for all items. These are "regular" prices. When there is a "special" you still have to pay import duty when the normal price is more than US$ 200.

Thank you. Begs the question, where is this list available for all to see?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another good reason to use a mundanza. We just shipped in a big CharBroil gas grill, cost us $100 to ship, came right to the door. We hit an unexpected sale and paid only $159 for it, so $259 total.

My brother-in-law has the same grill, he paid 30,000 pesos for his. With their own 'list', they might have clobbered us.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another good reason to use a mundanza. We just shipped in a big CharBroil gas grill, cost us $100 to ship, came right to the door. We hit an unexpected sale and paid only $159 for it, so $259 total.

My brother-in-law has the same grill, he paid 30,000 pesos for his. With their own 'list', they might have clobbered us.

I agree with the most recent import being a generator I imported for significantly less than purchasing one locally. My real point for this thread was to expose the inconsistencies with customs and their setting up their own rules that fly in the face of other regulations.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find that the duty difficulties are best challenged by using an expert advisor - a negotiator, so to speak.

AE and I are firm belivers in the mudanza system for this...... personally, I have never had any issues and I expect she is the same.
We offer this advice regularly......

Pick a mudanza, establish a relationship and work with them.
I ask in adavance if I will have trouble importing this or that.

Th response for an ATV was to 'forget about it'.... no chance

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WW, did they give you a reason for not sending the ATV? Mr. AE is chomping at the bit for one.

Let me guess and see if I am correct. The price would be as high or higher than buying one here and the hassle factor of dealing with customs and the paperwork would be maddening. Similar to privately importing any other vehicle.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I and my husband have brought in a total of 4, 32 inch flat screens in our luggage (on different occasions) we did remove cables, stickers etc..as zoomzx11 had recommended. My husband was stopped once and stated it was a computer monitor and there was no problem. I am sure there will come a time when we are not so lucky, lol

I find that hard to believe you fit a 32 inch tv into your suitcase considering the largest on board suitcase allowed by any airline is 29 to 30 inch.. Why i dont believe it, is I measured every 32inch configuation, and it was impossible.. So we brought 26 inch tvs..

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
as is most items shipped blind, that is without Invoice, then custom must resort to book values, which most likely do no take into account the recent reduction in prices..........

In the cases I have done the same with EPS, they send an email and request invoice, if you do not send it ASAP merchandise is processed with book value anyway...

If they do not believe your Original Invoice, they then go to the book.

Outside of the high volume FF's

If your invoice is correct & honest and incredibly cheap, they may request to show proof in the form of payment, such as CC bill or wire transfer documentation.

g'luck

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
as is most items shipped blind, that is without Invoice, then custom must resort to book values, which most likely do no take into account the recent reduction in prices..........

In the cases I have done the same with EPS, they send an email and request invoice, if you do not send it ASAP merchandise is processed with book value anyway...

If they do not believe your Original Invoice, they then go to the book.

Outside of the high volume FF's

If your invoice is correct & honest and incredibly cheap, they may request to show proof in the form of payment, such as CC bill or wire transfer documentation.

g'luck

I just bought a 32" flat screen TV online for $192.50 including shipping. It's coming with a receipt in the box via Business Mail.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I find that hard to believe you fit a 32 inch tv into your suitcase considering the largest on board suitcase allowed by any airline is 29 to 30 inch.. Why i dont believe it, is I measured every 32inch configuation, and it was impossible.. So we brought 26 inch tvs..

old TV trick - the 32" is the diagonal..... if it fits, it ship (coutesy USPS):p

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I thunk that TV measurements were still diagonal. They were last time I bought one for my mother aboyt 2 years ago.
Der Fish

Its impossible to fit a 32 inch diagonal. The biggest suitcase made to check in is 30 inches height wise.. Believe me I went through this.. Check any airlines suitcase restrictions that fly to the DR.. You would need height in the suitcase of at least 32 inches for the width of a 32 inch tv to fit... Not possible..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They DO FIT!
You need a large suitcase, and must "Repackage" to fit, and especially "PROTECT" the TV.
Placing a "Masonite" sheet, cut to size, over the screen works.
Only problem, if you get it here and it's broken, or doesn't work, what then????
But at $200 for a nice LED-HDTV I think it's worth a try.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"WIDTH" Contango, "Width"!!!!!!
NOT "HEIGTH", "WIDTH!
That would be "WIDTH", NOT ,.................oh well?????????????????????