Any exceptions about cedula renewal Out there?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Hi you can look up when your cedula expires . Thats the good news however apparently you cannot renew before for mysterious reasons . i am on a flight that cannot be cancelled and wondered if any dr member ever managed to be given permission to renew a bit early ( two weeks in my case ) .I had to return from asia last time to not have to go through the bells and whistles of renewing my residency which had on expired three weeks before .So history repeats itself except it is only a fine for not renewing on time .However i am just wondering if anyone ever did get an exception thx

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Try going to the office with $2,000 peso bills sticking out of your shirt pocket and plea with them.

"R"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you are worried about coming back to DR on expired cedula then don't. no one gives a damn. they want your valid residency.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
No thats not it ... I dont know how long i will be gone so i would would rather have paid a,few thousand pesos for the e identity , not 500 a month for late renewal when i am so close to renewal .lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you look at it like this: you will have to bribe with few thousand pesos; you can just as well pay those few thousand for late renewal :)
how about you claim you lost it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't think it's that big a deal, Mr. AE's cedula is almost always way overdue for renewal. He's never had a problem renewing it.

We're still contemplating trying to renew his Dominican driver's license from 1975. After they all fall on the floor laughing at the old photo and the current face, we wonder if he has to take a new test or they'll just feel sorry for the old dude and renew it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, AE, nearly all dominicans i know live happily on expired cedula. but foreigners have to pay for each month after the expiry date, there is a fine of 500 pesos a month, or so. different case.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
The only purpose really is to renew residency you must have a current cedula I may try to do it beforehand any way .Hopefully handing some flowers with a 2000 peso greeting card for a late Semanta Santa ! Lol

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
where you renew your cedula for gringos ,would you say it was approx .a 200 peso cab ride to the colonial zone?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is close to plaza de la bandera. avenida luperon, edificio johnson. 809-537-9649.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes, AE, nearly all dominicans i know live happily on expired cedula. but foreigners have to pay for each month after the expiry date, there is a fine of 500 pesos a month, or so. different case.

Aha, I didn't know that, since my lazy butt has never bothered getting one. Live and learn, thanks for the clarification.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
btw, out of curiosity i just checked my cedula. it clearly says it expires on fecha de nacimiento ano 2013. but when i run it through JCE cedula program it says expired on the 22.02.2013. whaaaaa? i will call them next week to check it. my birthday is in october. i do not want to show up and be told i need to pay up 5000 pesos fine. i have no problem going to SD on a short notice if i have to.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Would it not be incredible if the DR government could come up with this solution?

Residency and Cedula are the same card. Go to one place, pay one fee and get one card. I know, it makes too much sense.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
dv8 when you call (if your spanish is up to it can you ask if there is apossibility to renew before the date? mine is april 28 which is Not my birthday ...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can ask, no prob :) just do not count on two different people giving the same straight answer :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
update:
i called and indeed, my cedula has expired. good thing i checked because boy oh boy, would i be in for a surprise in october!
so a word of advice, check yourself: Consultar C?dulas Extranjeros

i also asked about renovating BEFORE expiry date and the answer was absolutely no.

new fine for expired cedulas is 700 pesos a month.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I was refused renewal of my cedula (when renewing residencia) because it expired on my birthday, which was still 10 days away!! I was accompanied by paralegal from our attorney Guzman Ariza, but he could not talk them into it. He said their computer system will not allow renewal before expiration; you cannot renew even one day before.

Is there a grace period for renewal at all? Here is the potential Catch 22, because there is a fine for renewing after expiration!! So unless you renew on the exact date of expiration, you pay the fine?? (And it may be that you cannot renew even on that exact date, because it is not officially expired till the next day. I don't know, but would not surprise me.)

Another weird thing: when I did get back to SD to renew, it now does not expire on my birthday (Nov) anymore. Just a random date in July??? Did notice at the time either, like dv8, so didn't question them about it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would have noticed a different expiry date if my cedula had it but it says dia de nacimiento ano 2013. pretty self explanatory, as i thought...
because my cedula expired on the 22nd of february, as they claim, i am to pay the fine. the dude i talked to said 700 pesos but i am pretty sure that by the time i go there, sometime this month, it will be 1400 because why the hell no.

miesposo got so furious with all this he says he wants to call them himself. there goes the myth of dominicans being patient and taking things peacefully :) :) :) i rolled my eyes, what the hell is he going to achieve?

as far as the expiry date, when i went to SD last time to renew there was an asian girl there who came to do her cedula just after expiry date, few days. they fined here for one month. she was really, really angry and went to argue her cause. i left before she came back so i do not know how it ended.