Furniture

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone knows about a good furniture store in SD? Looking for a leather sectional,not used,new.Thanks in advanced for replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Conforama", 27 de Feb.
They have a web site.
They have some nice furniture, and some "JUNK" :eek::eek::eek: for those who don't know the difference, so, "Know The Difference"!
They will deliver.
Personally, I would not do leather in a tropical climate.
ESPECIALLY in a "Tropical Climate" with a Dominican maid throwing "CLORO" around like a Catholic Priest, "Blessing The Fleet"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ikea has most of their range in leather too. looks very pretty but i am with CCCCC on that... i will get destroyed so fast... we liked some real low sofas in ikea but ended up not buying them. i was sure our maid would destroy the bottom part of the fabric, the way she throws cloro on the floor...

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
"Conforama", 27 de Feb.
They have a web site.
They have some nice furniture, and some "JUNK" :eek::eek::eek: for those who don't know the difference, so, "Know The Difference"!
They will deliver.
Personally, I would not do leather in a tropical climate.
ESPECIALLY in a "Tropical Climate" with a Dominican maid throwing "CLORO" around like a Catholic Priest, "Blessing The Fleet"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The funny thing is that I was talking with someone about a minivan,and he said it has no leather for the same reason you stated above "leather is no good in the DR" I guess I will check out some "regular furniture" Thanks all for the replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I like "IKEA" for "Kitchen Stuff", but not for much else!
At 300 pounds, I can destroy most of their furniture with a glance.
I also feel that "Pressed Wood", and Chrome Plated Steel will rust do to the Humidity, and "Maids" here, and if you live near the salt water, even worse.Check out "Conforama".
And don't forget to get a "Cash Discount"!
If you want higher end, hand made furniture, I do know a great furniture maker for that too.
He made most of the stuff in my house, and it's still here after 16 years.
All made with Dominican "Caoba".
Maid", and CHILD PROOF!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I almost forgot, "IKEA" is THE PLACE to go, when you absolutely have to have, some HORSE MEAT!!!

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I like "IKEA" for "Kitchen Stuff", but not for much else!
At 300 pounds, I can destroy most of their furniture with a glance.
I also feel that "Pressed Wood", and Chrome Plated Steel will rust do to the Humidity, and "Maids" here, and if you live near the salt water, even worse.Check out "Conforama".
And don't forget to get a "Cash Discount"!
If you want higher end, hand made furniture, I do know a great furniture maker for that too.
He made most of the stuff in my house, and it's still here after 16 years.
All made with Dominican "Caoba".
Maid", and CHILD PROOF!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I almost forgot, "IKEA" is THE PLACE to go, when you absolutely have to have, some HORSE MEAT!!!

Will give you a shout in a few weeks,that definitely sounds like something I would like(handmade with caoba)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was pretty surprised at the furniture selection upstairs at Plaza Lama in SD. US name brands like Lane etc. Even reclining sofas. I don't specifically remember leather, but I wouldn't consider that here so I probably just passed them by. What surprised me is the prices weren't bad - Around $1000 for a nice name-brand reclining sofa, about the same as in the US.

They also had some cheap no-name brands.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I was pretty surprised at the furniture selection upstairs at Plaza Lama in SD. US name brands like Lane etc. Even reclining sofas. I don't specifically remember leather, but I wouldn't consider that here so I probably just passed them by. What surprised me is the prices weren't bad - Around $1000 for a nice name-brand reclining sofa, about the same as in the US.

They also had some cheap no-name brands.

Again,can someone remind me why leather is no good,especially in SD,I mean it's not like you are right on the beach

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
problem with sofas, especially sofa-camas is that is would be expensive to make them by hand: too many metal elements for the reclining part. what i like about ikea that nearly everything can be replaced. like legs (they sell them separately too) and fabrics (in all colours and finishes). and that's the only shop to have modern looking furniture at a price that will not leave you in tears :)

Again,can someone remind me why leather is no good,especially in SD,I mean it's not like you are right on the beach

sweaty ass sticks to it like bear to honey ;) leather rots here. i have few handbags that basically turned into mouldy pieces. i guess it needs care to survive. i cannot be bothered. i buy furniture to use it and not to polish it, clean it and invest in it. ;)

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Leather works fine here if you take care of it, or if you can teach someone else to take care of it. I've some leather bar chairs at my villa, right on the ocean, and they still look and work fine after about 10 years of pretty rough use. Get good leather cleaner and re-oil from time to time. Just like anything else...maintenance is required.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have black leather 'home theater' chairs in our den at home in NJ, and I love them. But like dv8 says, bare legs will stick to them in hot weather......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, let me just add that we have cats. cats and leather? not a good pairing. i like the leather look but it's something you have to take care of. and maybe not a material suitable for a household with pets. :(