stopped by AMET in Santiago

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
We were stopped by AMET in Santiago on our first trip there in a car. We were in the right side lane, in very slow trafffic. The AMET looked at us and told us to pull over. Asked us where we were from , and we said we lived a few hours away. The checked the papers and said we ran a red light. I don't see how we could have. The said the fine was $1500 pesos and were going to take the car. We ended up paying then the cash . My question is Can they take the car or is it just a ticket. When can they take the car??? I had a foreign drivers licence. Any info would be appreciated for the next time tks
OF course we don't want to go there anymore . If we do go there again, it would be very early in the day because later in the day you are screwed if you are from out of town. .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We were stopped by AMET in Santiago on our first trip there in a car. We were in the right side lane, in very slow trafffic. The AMET looked at us and told us to pull over. Asked us where we were from , and we said we lived a few hours away. The checked the papers and said we ran a red light. I don't see how we could have. The said the fine was $1500 pesos and were going to take the car. We ended up paying then the cash . My question is Can they take the car or is it just a ticket. When can they take the car??? I had a foreign drivers licence. Any info would be appreciated for the next time tks
OF course we don't want to go there anymore . If we do go there again, it would be very early in the day because later in the day you are screwed if you are from out of town. .

next time you have that issue, here is how you do it. or, rather, how we did it. when you take out your documents, make sure you have a 500 peso bill conveniently placed amid the paperwork. end of story. do not make it obvious, because AMET prides themselves in the BELIEF that they are honest, and that they are the only people in the DR who are not on the take. as long as it is not in plain sight, they are just as broke and needy as the next guy. and, yes, they will make you leave your car, and take public transportation to the Palacio de Justicia to go and dispose of the fine, which itself is a harrowing process that could take hours. no schlub street patrol guy is going to eschew taking a nickel because it offends his sense of morality and civic propriety. he cannot spend that when the propane tank goes empty.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
As a tourist to Santiago, you should have taken pictures.
Pictures are worth a 1,000 pesos. ($1,500 pesos in your case).

No one in the car had a D.R. license?
Most cameras now a day do video, with AUDIO!!!!!!!

"R"

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And "how" did the OP give the AMET guy the $1,500 pesos without making it obvious?

"R"

probably, in the case of the OP, AMET took the money with a facade of officialdom, so even if people saw, they would think they were simply collecting the fine the prescribed legal way. in our case, my buddy just handed the guy his registration form with a nickel folded neatly inside.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
OP, you have been on this site for 5 years and do not know? Then shame on you. 1st of all never feed the monster (AMET) with the gringo excise tax. It only make it harder for the rest of us. RD1500 is close to a weeks pay for some of these punks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tell them to go %$& themselves!

Before doing so, ask for their name and number.
If they refuse, then ask to speak to their commanding officer (jefe).

They will soon back down...

Dec 26, 2011
I made a legal U-turn at a redlight in SD earlier this month. Four of them start waving me over. Against what I always recommend and what I always do, I pulled over. My instincts told me too. Handed the AMET my license. He said I ran the light. Then, again instinct, I realized that I don't know a single word of Spanish. Not a single god damn word. My gf played it right. Looked straight ahead. Didn't say a word. Her mom in the back almost screws it up and says "?Y que? ?Lo van a llevar preso?". LOL. But I stuck to my guns and just said "what? I'm sorry I don't understand" a couple of times. He knew even less English than I do Spanish. He became frustrated and one of his buddies encouraged him to wave me on. Took all of two minutes and it cost me a total of 0$ DOP in fines, bribes and tips.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I made a legal U-turn at a redlight in SD earlier this month. Four of them start waving me over. Against what I always recommend and what I always do, I pulled over. My instincts told me too. Handed the AMET my license. He said I ran the light. Then, again instinct, I realized that I don't know a single word of Spanish. Not a single god damn word. My gf played it right. Looked straight ahead. Didn't say a word. Her mom in the back almost screws it up and says "?Y que? ?Lo van a llevar preso?". LOL. But I stuck to my guns and just said "what? I'm sorry I don't understand" a couple of times. He knew even less English than I do Spanish. He became frustrated and one of his buddies encouraged him to wave me on. Took all of two minutes and it cost me a total of 0$ DOP in fines, bribes and tips.

seems like textbook strategy to me.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I also would advise against giving propina's...

However, if you did something illegal do the right thing and pay the fine - at the bank

If you feel you are shaken down; start rolling the camera

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This sort of thing has happened to all of us...... but the results are inconsistent.... some get off, some don't, some talk , some don't, the list goes on.

By far the best way - if possible - is not to stop.

Last week there was a minor roadblock for repair or something - not a shakedown - a big white SUV came screaming down the road and leaned on the horn.... blew right thru the roadblock...... not a gringo.

The big shot RD'ers don;t stop either

Dec 26, 2011
By far the best way - if possible - is not to stop.

I agree wholeheartedly. But after my latest experience, I see how you could be in city traffic and feel unable to simply drive past like on a highway or road that permits traveling at a higher speed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When they motion you over and you realize that they are on foot, simple smile and wave and watch them in your rear view mirror as you leave them to shake down the next guy.

LTSteve

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Well I never had a car before and was not a target as such. Easy for you to say, but for me leaving the car, travelling 2 hours by guaga with groceries at a time when few are even available where we live, children at home waiting , to return home late at night by then. Returning in the morning , running around paying a fine was hardly not worth it. Best advice go early and return early by car if necessary.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Do Amets legally collect a fine in cash in Santiago? I have been fined by amets 2 or 3 times (always for talking on the phone) but they just give you the ticket to pay at the bank.