Reporting illegal renovations?

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
Yes, I realise that's a pretty daft notion here, but... We've been staying next to what I can only describe as "an above average annoying a......" They've converted their residential home to a business - as we know, in any civilised country that would be a big no-no - and are forever putting up and putting down walls...
I'm 99% sure they've no permit - besides the fact that I'm pretty sure it can't be legal to build in a residential zone (another reason to rent and not buy in the city) - my question is, can I report them? And if so, to whom? They noise, the pollution... it's unbearable - again, never buy in the city! - am I a dreamer? thinking the local competent authorities would/could do anything?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Let me know if you find out.

Next door to us is a lot of about 6 tareas. Was one house there when we bought our land about 25 - 30 years ago. Now there is a conglomeration of about 8 10 houses in there, some block, some wood, an outdoor 'shower' room. The matriarch is about 93, and every time one of her grandchildren takes a mate they build a 'house'.

No one to complain to.

We just built a big wall so we don't have to look at them.

Unfortunately, we still have to hear them all yelling at each other all day.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My parents in law have a school.a neighbor in the back decided to build a third floor on his building, the wall was 1 meter away from the windows of the classrooms in the third floor. It was reported (I think to medioambiente) and the neighbor had to tear down his wall.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My parents in law have a school.a neighbor in the back decided to build a third floor on his building, the wall was 1 meter away from the windows of the classrooms in the third floor. It was reported (I think to medioambiente) and the neighbor had to tear down his wall.

We've thought about that.... the last 'shack' they put up is about 2 feet from our fence [we add about 100 feet to the wall each year, that section has just barbed wire fence]. If we pushed it, they might make them tear it down, but we're not here most of the year and don't want any trouble when property is vacant. So they hold us kind of 'hostage'.

I've often said that if I win the lottery, that the first thing I would do is take about $50,000US and finish the wall around the property!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The chance for success will be determined primarily by where you are located. Some local governments are responsible and others are not.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my in laws have quite a large property, sort of L shaped. they tried to buy the missing corner but people would not sell. eventually the neighbour built a house on his land, but really on the very corner, maybe a meter away from in law's outside wall. my mother in law simply raised her wall so it comes all the way to the roof of neighbour's house.
i hasten to add the land is ok size, they just decided to put the house so much in the corner they will have zero light coming in now.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
And when you get back to civilization you'll complain if you arent allowed to add to your house like people do in simpler places. Right?
Not quite.We have kids and we like to lead by example: follow the law. We didn't come here to cut corners.

niknak

Dec 12, 2008
The chance for success will be determined primarily by where you are located. Some local governments are responsible and others are not.

Unfortunately when we inquiry we get the same robotic answer. It's like talking to a broken record when it come to "competent authorities".

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
It depends where you are I would say...

I have a place in Zona Colonial - been 6 months and still waiting for my permits! After many arguments with Ayuntamiento I think to myself 'screw it I am just going to start work' - but then I talk myself out of it...

They are really hot on it due to the area... I was clearing the place the other day and I had a 'visit' - I was only clearing trash so they didnt say anything. On the map on the wall in Patrimonio my property is highlighted... I am guessing its to check up to make sure no work is started without permits.

Complain to Ayuntamiento - they are absolutely useless but you never know...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my in laws have quite a large property, sort of L shaped. they tried to buy the missing corner but people would not sell. eventually the neighbour built a house on his land, but really on the very corner, maybe a meter away from in law's outside wall. my mother in law simply raised her wall so it comes all the way to the roof of neighbour's house.
i hasten to add the land is ok size, they just decided to put the house so much in the corner they will have zero light coming in now.

Coincidentally, our land is also 'L' shaped, our property runs along the left side of their land, and along the entire back of theirs. It's not huge, 15 tareas. When our wall goes up, a couple of those houses will not only be dark, they will lose the strong breeze that comes from that direction every day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
regarding businesses in residential areas. i see it often. in POP, santiago, SD. usually doctor's or lawyer's office, sometimes architect. in santiago some residential streets have turned into restaurant strips. people cut down on rent by turning their properties into businesses, especially if they are in a prominent location. nothing can be done about it apart from selling to another wannabe businessman and moving out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
35 years ago both my streets were one family homes. Today they are nearly all 85%? commercial. It is silly, but this is how it is.

I mean, I can understand those of us on the avenue, we have great traffic and exposure, but the side streets? Just around the corner there is a kids clothing store that is "de rigor" if you are looking for a present for anyone less than 5 years old...

You wonder about these businesses...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at least the change from residential to business makes it easier to sell.