help with residency questions

devdev

May 14, 2011
First-yes I have read through the whole visa forum and was unable to find specific answers I am looking for. What is the difference in citizenship and residency, and what are the pros?? Now, my mother is in Canada and is applying for residency here. She has started the process with having her birth certificate translated and legalized at the Dominican consulate in Toronto. Does she need to have a medical exam done and a doctors note or whatever they give you translated and legalized also? My husband also has a letter of guarantor here (Santo Domingo) which we will be getting couriered to her in Canada. Does she need to have that translated into English there and legalized? Can my husband also type her one in English so she doesn't have to go pay for this as my husband is fluent in both languages? Does this document need to be legalized here before we send it to her?? If there is any Canadians reading this and have been through the residency process, any advice/help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Your message is a little confusing. Are you Dominican? It is not evident in what you have written. If your mother is of Dominican decent than there are different requirements. Is your mother a Canadian citizen? You may not want to at this point but you will have to have an attorney to complete this process. I would contact one now to have your questions answered. It is well worth the money.

LTSteve

devdev

May 14, 2011
I am Canadian, as is my mother. I live in santo domingo with my husband and daughter. Why does she need a lawyer???

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can complete the residency process without one. Maybe others can chime in to confirm this. Do you speak Spanish? Are you or your husband residents of the DR? As you know the residency process starts with getting the correct documents in your home country. First you are applying for temporary residency. Once the process is complete and your paperwork has been filed it could take 6-12 months to get approval. Once you have temporary residency, this is renewed for, I believe, 5 years before you can apply for permanent residency. After you get your permanent residency you could apply for citizenship. I would say though, that if your mother is getting benefits from Canada than there is no reason to go this route. When you apply for temporay residency in Santo Domingo your mother will be required to get a chest x ray and give blood and a urine sample. This is done in the same general offices as where you file your paper work. Your on the right track in Canada, she needs a copy of her birth certificate, a full copy of all the pages in her passport, a criminal background check in Canada done by either your provincial police or the RCMP. This includes fingerprinting. These have to be apostillized in Canada. This an official seal that is recognized international as an official document. I don't believe you need the official stamp on your passport. You also need these documents translated into Spanish and notorized. Is the letter of guarantor notorized? If not this could be done in Canada. As you can see it is quite involved and a lengthy process. Good luck. As I said at the beginning that I believe you will need some type of representation to complete this process. If I were you I would go to the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo and ask a lot of questions to get clarification. Also at the top of these forums is an ad for a company that assists in the residency process. Check it out. There is a lot of useful information here.

LTSteve

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She's a Canadian woman married to a Dominican guy. She states her husband is fluent in both Languages. As of June 1st 2012 residency rules changed under Immigration law 285-04 and Immigration regulation 631-11.
In your mother's case unless she has a pension income in excess of 1500 USD per month she will have to become a temporary resident first.
First step- apply for residency visa at the Dominican Consulate in Toronto ( very helpful people in my experience)
Usually you need - passport good for at least 18 months, Medical Certicate, Criminal Record Check (RCMP)
Birth Certificate
Documents proving solvency
Letter of guarantee signed by a Dominican (Spanish)
Everything will have translated in to Spanish by the Consulate for which they have a fee in $us.
Her best bet is to contact the consulate by e-mail or phone and ask questions.
Contact Us

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Arrugala:

Her mother is in Canada and she is talking about residency in the DR for her mother. The original letter was a little confusing and left out some pertinent details.

LTSteve

devdev

May 14, 2011
do I need to send the guarantor letter to her in Canada or does she just need it when she gets here?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would send the letter to her in Canada and have her get it Apostilized and translated into Spanish, unless it is already in Spanish?

LTSteve

Feb 7, 2007
The guarantor letter must be signed by two witnesses in the DR, legalized at the Procuraduria. If it is being used by DR EMBASSY (for visa purposes) it does not have to be apostillized. DR embassy is a DR soil, meaning a legalization required is by Procuraduria (330 pesos).

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
If a person does not renew the residency they have already in the D.R. within the 45 day period prior to expiration,what is the penalty amount for renewing? $300 USD or more or less?

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
If a person does not renew the residency they have already in the D.R. within the 45 day period prior to expiration,what is the penalty amount for renewing? $300 USD or more or less?

Can someone answer the above question AND how many days past expiration can the permanent residency still be renewed?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fine is 400 pesos per month, currently. not sure about limits but years...

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I have my Cedula and Permanent Residency. Both have to be renewed this year. I renewed it twice before and it was simple and some pesos. I am hearing that now the system has changed and I may have to get an X Ray and re do some paperwork. New process or new Cedula. Is this true? And if so any advise on how difficult this will be?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we discussed it millions of times.

for the residency you need to file all the paperwork again (police check, proof of solvency) and you have to do the medical (x-ray and blood/urine test) again.
cedula renewal remains what it was.

i suggest you renew the residency as soon as you can. i believe it can be done 45 days before expiry date. then with renewed residency do your cedula.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I missed that info. There is more too now birth certificates need a Apostille also before they didnt. Tell me this is a one time thing that this wont be the process for renewal every time? Geese that would be unbearable. What is the going rate these days to get help with that? Thanks for the responce dv8.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I missed that info. There is more too now birth certificates need a Apostille also before they didnt. Tell me this is a one time thing that this wont be the process for renewal every time? Geese that would be unbearable. What is the going rate these days to get help with that? Thanks for the responce dv8.

You don't need to provide a birth certificate to renew residency.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no. it is 400 a month for residency and 700 for cedula. so 1100 for both.

this is why i said to renew the residency asap because if you start the process too late you will pay the late renewal. btw, the first month after the expiry date does not count, that's the time when you can renew without any fines.