Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: credit cards

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default credit cards

do most places to shop at (malls, grocery stores) take U.S. credit cards??

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

most larger places do. but even then some will not take american express (something about the charges). so it is wise just to make sure. visa and master are most commonly accepted.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for ur help!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont use creditcard in this country,- Only money.

and dont try to pay with 2000peso if you made a small purchase, that it also a problem here.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used credit cards at selective spots in locations that I am familiar with. If you do use credit cards many locations will tack on additional charges to cover their costs, so ask first to avoid a hassle. Unless you are paying a bill for a hotel or another large amount use a debit/credit card and pay with cash.

LTSteve

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

And check with your cc company - most of them tack on an extra 2.75-3% 'international' fee.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I pay for my shopping, bills and alsort with a credit/debit card, have done for about 6 or 7 years. Never had an issue this side. I was paranoid and didnt for quite a while, but after moving to the big city i realized the amount of money i can go through does not make it realistic to pay for everything with cash. How I avoid issues is I shop at La Sirena, Plaza Lama, Bravo. Established shops in the big malls. I never ever pay for restaurant bills (unless I'm paying a stupid amount or which is easy in the capital) gas, or smaller establishments with any cards. Infact I lie, I did have an issue with PriceSmart around Xmas, they double taxed my credit card, but it was put back on within 10 days.

8. Likes malko liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

our visitors frequently use credit cards from their respective countries here (poland, austria, UK, USA). no one ever had any problem. admittedly we monitor that use and we let our guests pay only in places we consider reliable. so far so good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    I pay for my shopping, bills and alsort with a credit/debit card, have done for about 6 or 7 years. Never had an issue this side. I was paranoid and didnt for quite a while, but after moving to the big city i realized the amount of money i can go through does not make it realistic to pay for everything with cash. How I avoid issues is I shop at La Sirena, Plaza Lama, Bravo. Established shops in the big malls. I never ever pay for restaurant bills (unless I'm paying a stupid amount or which is easy in the capital) gas, or smaller establishments with any cards. Infact I lie, I did have an issue with PriceSmart around Xmas, they double taxed my credit card, but it was put back on within 10 days.
    I've had 8 cards compromised in 5 years here.

You live a charmed life.

11. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    That's the way to go. And be aware of the big differences when you need cash: fees of Banco Popular at counter for visa 4,5%, fees of Banco Progreso at ATM = 0 (not even the usual 1,5%).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast