classy class question

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so there i am, one saturday, in los mangos golf club (a lot less posh than it sounds). i am watching swimming class of friend's daughter and chatting with her family. two dominican girls appear on our side and announce they study mercado and they have this survey about the club and could we please take a look.
nice! i love surveys. i take the paper they hand me and look at the first question: what social class are you? high, middle high, middle low, low. followed by blah blah questions about the club.

i gotta say i roared with laughter. and then my eyes rolled so far back i could see my ass and the all the cottage cheese reasons to renew my gym membership. gee. why not ask straightforwardly: how rich are you?

and i am the first to agree that in any survey you need to know who you were talking too, this is why after you are done with the subject at hand (the club) you can ask about gender, age and income, caring to include i prefer not to say kind of answer so you know who's a bore and whose answer sheet can be dumped into the rubbish bin.

now you know. the number one issue to dominican students is social class, apparently :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they did not census us :( they were in front of our house when they saw me coming back home with the doggies. they run away. and i was looking forward to messing up their data!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
same here didnt want to come in.... left the sticker thing with my mother in law across the rood... Off topic,but last monday lady judge or whatever u call the people who set up child pensions sees my wife outside and asks if shes #######, yes, do u live with fansisco something or other, no, are ure sure, yes my husbands european do u want to go in and check, no thanks I ve heard of ure dogs.......
morality, if u dont want hassle from officials get a mean looking dog or 2, or 3......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What class ? Its like age.... everybody lies about it.

For age, they lie down,,,,,,,,,,,,, for class, they lie up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the girl i was with said: no on is going to say clase baja... so true...
i kinda love this obsession with class here :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, I have lied up about my age .........

Gee, you look good for that age.......( makes you fell like crap)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Problem is, that Dominicans equate "Money" with "Class"!
They actually believe that the more money you have, the higher "Class" you are part of.
I know a FEW Dominicans with real "Class".
Most DO have a lot of money, "OLD MONEY",which gave them an advantage, but some are really "POOR", like my mother-in-law. She is one of the people who "Walk-The-Walk" when it comes to "Class".
Most Dominicans just "Talk-The-Talk"!
A "Yepeta", and "Knock-off" designer clothes shows "Class"!
Looooooooooooow Class"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't lie about my age so far. but it gets depressing, especially when you have to start checking the box 35-45. looks a lot more dramatic than 25-35 :) :) :)

in europe surveys like this ask about a yearly income per household. no one would answer that here :)

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
As CC indicated money can not buy class. There are numerous components that the refined ,upper-class ,sophisticated sect consider "class" characteristics. Manners , being considerate of others not being loud or rude, not making others feel uncomfortable in social settings and of course education, communication and speaking are telltale signs of who you are. A college professor is considered to be a coveted UMC (upper middle class) job however it does not pay major league coin.
That being said I am not sure where I fit in as I yell and scream at the cock-fights and use profane language on the regular.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Latin America in general are class conscious, even Brazil, their soaps (novelas) show how important it is. As pauleast pointed out is a combination of attributes, one of which is not throwing trash out the car's window (i hate it). Take for instance ball players.. low class. Years ago i flew with one of them, from L.A. to sdq. since i am no fan of any ball players did not know the name, but i was told he was a biggy with the l.a.dogers. We sat next to each other in first class..now that was one low class person (i.m.o.)...and he wore lots of gold.