Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fighting Cocks At Sosua Beach

Among the multitude at Sosua Beach today were 2 fighting cocks. You can tell that both of these proud, handsome birds have fought at least once by the cropped natural spur. The spur is cropped before a fight to make aFighting Cock At Sosua Beach.jpgPortrait Of A Fighting Cock.jpg base for the steel or resin spur that is attached to the legs of the cocks. Also, one has had his comb trimmed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty common in the DR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Cock fighting, Dog fighting, massively common here, more so than anywhere else I've travelled to. I can handle a cock fight but I still get sickened when I see them setting dogs to fight.

4. Likes DOMINCAN JOE liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Every village has its gallero. Every sunday they open for fights and betting. Been once to check it out, not my cup of tea.

6. Likes DOMINCAN JOE liked this post
    *** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

In Santiago its a great place to make business and politico connections. I think more so than a baseball game.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cock fighting, dog fighting, Siamese fighting fish, is horrible and isn't going away anytime soon. This is the things I dislike the most about the d.r. I would rather see two men battle it out than forse animals to do the deed. Hell that's how we can turn Puarta Plata economy around; build a coliseum and let the games begin!

9. Likes DOMINCAN JOE, malko liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've gone to two cock fights one was in Charamicos, the first one was in Gasper Hernandez. But what was more interesting than the cock fight in Gasper Hernandez was they actually had a set up in the back for some of the chicken that lost or died-where a kid would hang it by it's feet, cut its throat & bleed it out then dip it in a hot water bucket & strip the feathers then sent it to the next guy. By the time he was done (which seemed like 10 seconds) it looked like it could be sold in Playero. I guess I went to a special cock fight that day because they were giving out trophies for most earned & best chicken ect. They had so many speeches & applauds that I thought I was at the Dominican Grammys *joke* It was kinda brutal but definitely something I wanted to experience from the culture

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Every village has its gallero. Every sunday they open for fights and betting. Been once to check it out, not my cup of tea.
    It is "gallera". Sunday is not universal. In the Sosua area, Cangrejo is Sunday but Charamicos is Friday or Saturday.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a collection of cockfight photos. I'll post a link when it is ready.Rather Flee Than Fight.jpg

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my friends has been studying the history of the domestication of chickens. If the breed is raised for meat, it descended originally for cock fighting. Egg laying chickens came from bamboo forests, where egg laying in large amounts is part of the ecology.

And yes, it's cruel and wrong and blah blah blah, but ever see how chickens are raised for food nowadays? These guys are treated like princes while they grow up and when they go into the ring, and then in theory, they have an equal chance of winning with a chance of going on to being a breeding chicken. If given a choice of being a game cock or a production line chicken, it's a no-brainer. Less than a dollar is spent on bringing a meat chicken to production weight in the US. A game cock is a serious investment and is often raised by professional trainers on a special diet.

Condemn all you want if you are a vegan, but if you eat production chicken or eggs, have a nice steaming cup of STFU and a side of chicken nuggets.

14. Likes Redscot liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast