ExPat Census

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
From DR1 news

New residency requirements in the Dominican Republic
In the last ten years, 86,774 foreigners, mostly Americans, Haitians, Cubans, Columbians and Spaniards, have obtained residency in the Dominican Republic, as reported in Hoy.

According to the Miguel Roman Garcia, director of the section for immigration control at the Immigration Department, these residencies, both temporary and permanent, are granted after state intelligence agencies and the National Drug Control Department (DNCD) review the applications, a process that can take 3 to 6 months and cost up to RD$12,000.

During the last ten years, the numbers of foreigners obtaining residency have been as follows: Americans 14,217; Haitians, 9,563; Cubans, 7,387; Colombians, 6,494; Spaniards, 6,145; Chinese, 4,575; Italians, 4,208; French, 3,633; Germans, 3,345; Canadians, 2,141; Swiss, 1,557; Argentinians, 1,187; Brazilians, 1,022; British, 819; Chileans, 721; Ecuadorians, 649; Salvadorians, 571; Belgians, 504; South Koreans, 481; Dutch, 473; Costa Ricans, 420, and Guatemalans, 406.

Residencies have also been granted to citizens from Afghanistan, Angola, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Burundi, Benin, Bahrain, Belarus, Bouvet Island, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Western Sahara, Ghana, Gambia, Georgia, Cambodia, Jordan, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Japan and other countries.

Foreigners with temporary residency who wish to obtain permanent documentation will be able to apply for this after having renewed their temporary residency annually for four years at a cost of RD$3,000 per year plus RD$500 for each month delay in renewal.

In order to change the residency from temporary to permanent, it is necessary to go through the same procedure and pay the same amounts as when obtaining the temporary residency. Immigration will decide whether or not to grant the permanent residency.

Article 42 of the Law 258-04 states that Immigration can cancel permanent residencies if it is determined that they were obtained with false declarations or false documents. The cancelation of permanent residency means the loss of immigration status and the foreigner will need to regularize the status or leave the country.

Migraci?n otorga m?s de 80 mil residencias a extranjeros - Hoy Digital

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
My bad. I'm most interested in knowing the ethnic background of those posting on DR1? Is that okay w/u CC (Cap'n Caps Lock)?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
That 'Purple" song is older than you are..... ask BBoy

Ooo, ee, oo , ah , ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.....

Remember this one?
I think it may have been before MTV!

[video=youtube;0e4kDXsM6lk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4kDXsM6lk[/video]

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Since its English language usa#1, Canadians #2, everything distant third. Search for a thread somewhere of a list of hometowns of dr1 members.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After years of "Due Diligence" here in the DR, I have discovered that, "They're all "PINK INSIDE"!
Isn't that all that really counts????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I am purple. Why you need to know this, market research?

barney-and-friends1.jpg

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It would be interesting to see how people from Afghanistan, Angola, Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Burundi, Benin, Bahrain, Belarus, Bouvet Island, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Western Sahara, Ghana, Gambia, Georgia, Cambodia, Jordan, Kuwait, Kazakhstan got to The DR, under what business and what are they doing down there? The only Afghani I've ever known of in The DR was a guy who used to stop by my half brother's restaurant in Santo Domingo in a late model Lexus. I was told (whispered really) that this guy always carried large wads of money and had an Uzzi under the driver's seat.

Of course there's always the distinct possibility that these people have NEVER even been in The DR. We all know the case of the brother of current North Korea's leader who got caught trying to enter Japan with a Dominican passport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-nam

Just yesterday I watched a documentary movie called "The Ambassador" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2048877/ about this Danish guy who "bought" his way into becoming an ambassador for Liberia with the intent of going to Central African Republic to see how Blood Diamonds are extracted out of the country by people with diplomatic immunity, so there is HUGE business on this.

I'm also surprised there was no mention of Peruvians, considering how many there are just in Cotui alone. I guess none of them has become a resident. I wonder what kind of "work permit" they have that allows them to be in the country for such extended periods of time.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
an interesting article in diario libre today:
Rep?blica Dominicana s?lo tiene 90 mil extranjeros en sus registros - DiarioLibre.com

few things:
(...) en los registros de la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n, s?lo aparezcan documentados legalmente 90 mil inmigrantes de diferentes nacionalidades, de los cuales 11 mil son haitianos.

and:
Taveras precis? que Migraci?n trabaja en la regularizaci?n de los extranjeros, y que en su oportunidad lanzar? sus unidades a las calles a realizar un levantamiento con el objetivo de tener un total control de ellos.
"Nosotros no podemos actuar al margen de la Ley, antes llegaba cualquiera como turista y no pasaba nada, se regularizaba, en estos momentos no, usted tiene que venir con visa, adem?s usted no puede venir como turista y quedarse", advirti?.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I read the entire interview this am.
Does not worry me as a "Non-Haitian" illegal immigrant!
Looks like the whole point of Taveras' diatribe, is to make it "LOOK" like he actually cares, but is just a ploy for his ministry to get higher government funding, so they can buy themselves more "Yepetas"!
Some have to still drive 2012 models.
"The Horror, The Horror"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC.