Auto v. Standard Transmissions

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
if you want to be able to resell your car in the future i would opt for a automatic.
people here prefer to have an automatic

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Depends on lots of factors. Where you do most of your driving, the type of car, what the car will be loaded with, your age. For me its automatic I'm too old and lazy to shift anymore, I don't have heavy loads and I drive an old small suv. But I do miss the fun of shifting, double clutching around corners and up and down hills in the right car of course.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Depends on lots of factors. Where you do most of your driving, the type of car, what the car will be loaded with, your age. For me its automatic I'm too old and lazy to shift anymore, I don't have heavy loads and I drive an old small suv. But I do miss the fun of shifting, double clutching around corners and up and down hills in the right car of course.

My idea is to buy a used SUV, van, or camioneta. I know it's 2013, but also know the advantages of carros mecanicos. In either case, the vehicle is going to be challenged with load and with uneven offroad and steep incline terrain.

Although my premise is that standard vehicles will be less vulnerable under these conditions, can I expect that mechanics have sufficient know-how and access to parts for standard transmission vehicle maintenance and repair?

canadandy

Apr 17, 2008
My idea is to buy a used SUV, van, or camioneta. I know it's 2013, but also know the advantages of carros mecanicos. In either case, the vehicle is going to be challenged with load and with uneven offroad and steep incline terrain.

Although my premise is that standard vehicles will be less vulnerable under these conditions, can I expect that mechanics have sufficient know-how and access to parts for standard transmission vehicle maintenance and repair?

Mechanics? know-how? maintenance? Where?
Anyways...
A driver of a public car claims he saves 500 pesos a day after converting his auto trans to a manual in his corolla, maybe his auto trans was sick. 2 others I know have done this conversion to manual trans in their cars. Less problems, Car handle heat issues better, more economical, you can push start if battery dead, but a pain in heavy traffic.

Note: If you do your drivers test here in an auto, you are only licensed for an auto. If you do it in a manual, then you can drive either.

And really you shouldn't have a problem finding someone that knows how to fix it.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Don't be ridiculous, manuals are for tea totalers here of which there are few. Unless you always have your lady to hold your beer for you.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Cons: car values less, higher fuel consumption, higher repair costs for transmission problems
Pros: less fuel consumption, better if you like to drive sporty especially in the montain areas.
If you go most of the time the Duarte Highway Sto.-Domingo - Puerto Plata: automatic.
If you go via Moca: manual
To La Romano, Higuey, Bavaro, in cities only: automatic.

So manual only makes sense if you want to save fuel or climb montain roads or like speeding or have a light truck.

Alexander

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Mechanics? know-how? maintenance? Where?
Anyways...
A driver of a public car claims he saves 500 pesos a day after converting his auto trans to a manual in his corolla, maybe his auto trans was sick. 2 others I know have done this conversion to manual trans in their cars. Less problems, Car handle heat issues better, more economical, you can push start if battery dead, but a pain in heavy traffic.

Note: If you do your drivers test here in an auto, you are only licensed for an auto. If you do it in a manual, then you can drive either.

And really you shouldn't have a problem finding someone that knows how to fix it.

Slightly wrong, most publicos will EARN (not save) RD500 per day once they pay for there overheads, the car owner (i know it is crazy but most publico guys do not actually own the cars they are in) gas and route handler.