One Tough Smart Phone

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here's a shock: CB is a function over form guy, not easily distracted by shiny objects.

So when I searched for a "new" cell phone a few months ago I did yeoman research, and listed exactly what I *needed* in a phone and set a budget at under $200 for a new unlocked GSM 3G phone that operated on the Orange 3G frequencies. I even considered some nice Chinese high-end "clones".

I came across the Motorola Defy+ that fit all my criteria. What sold me were the nice screen resolution, the reviews of excellent cell reception & volume (let's face it: it's a "cell phone" before a "smart phone.")...and the claim it was water and dust -resistant, and was fairly shockproof.

Two weeks ago while on tour we were riding toward Nagua from La Entrada along that long, windy stretch right along the ocean, speed around 55-60mph. I felt something hit my right thigh and caught out of the corner of my eye the phone that fell out of my tank bag. I tried trapping it with my leg and boot, to no avail. It was just gone, falling off the bike at speed.

I stopped 100+ yards down the road and circled around slowly, searching, just knowing that it was gone, no way to find it, and IF I found it it's be smashed to bits, shattering itself as it bounced and careened down the road...or into the bushes. Seriously-survive a 3.5' fall at highway speed? NO WAY! I was about to give up.

So imagine my shock when there it was, on the grass on the side of the road, Gorilla Glass side up. I got off, picked it up, hit the "on" button and it came to life, swiped it...and it was ALIVE!

Here is a pic. The only damage are some minor scratches on three corners, and a tiny scratch below the app button at the edge of the screen, about 1/4" long. Pic is 35% larger than the phone.
2ba1d59c-e974-4cb3-920b-6b72a8648993_zps687eae4d.jpg

Skittering across the highway at 55mph, and alive, well, looks good and functions perfectly. One tough phone. Or one lucky fall...

Not the shiniest of objects, but I can definitely recommend a Defy+ if you need a seriously solid, tough phone.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You should get an Otterbox for your phone.

eBay has them starting at US$29.29

I use an Otterbox with my HTC phone. I've dropped it a couple times and still works just fine. Better than risking a fall like you just had.
I've used an Otterbox cover before, just too bulky and clumsy for my taste, hard to put in and out of a pocket. Safe, no doubt.

It's better to just keep the sipper on my tank bag shut.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I use Otterbox as well on my galaxy 2. it had been a life saver for me thus far. With everything concrete I think it's good investment. I have dropped it countless times and my son threw it across the rooms and the power wasn't even turn off.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I hadnt bought a Motorola phone since the age before digital cell phones (remember the static???? lol) and had forgotten how good their build quality is compared to other brands. Recently bought a Motorola Atrix 2 and am extremely impressed with the build quality and battery life.

My next phone will definitely be something waterproof. Speaking of waterproof, does anyone else get paranoid taking their new phone out of their pocket in the bathroom? Maybe its a mental scar I have of dropping a cordless in the toilet when I was a teenager... lol

I know its too late now, but for a few bucks even less damage wouldve occurred.

US Cellular Motorola XT556 Defy XT Crystal TPU Gel Skin Case Cover Transparent | eBay

Same cover I have on mine and it has saved me more than once.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I hadnt bought a Motorola phone since the age before digital cell phones (remember the static???? lol) and had forgotten how good their build quality is compared to other brands. Recently bought a Motorola Atrix 2 and am extremely impressed with the build quality and battery life.

My next phone will definitely be something waterproof. Speaking of waterproof, does anyone else get paranoid taking their new phone out of their pocket in the bathroom? Maybe its a mental scar I have of dropping a cordless in the toilet when I was a teenager... lol

I know its too late now, but for a few bucks even less damage wouldve occurred.

US Cellular Motorola XT556 Defy XT Crystal TPU Gel Skin Case Cover Transparent | eBay

Same cover I have on mine and it has saved me more than once.
The Defy+ is "water resistant", 30 minutes at 1 meter. Not bad.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The thing about Motorola phones are the screen (digitizee) had been known to fail over time. Then again every smart phones has it's issues but Motorola smart phones I had been using had definite screen issues. And this date back to Several Droid A855 milestone, Bionics to Atrixes I had been using before I jumped ship and went to Samsung.

I do agree their old dumb phones were built like bricks. Slammed one on the street hard and picked it up and it kept working not even a scratch.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I've used an Otterbox cover before, just too bulky and clumsy for my taste, hard to put in and out of a pocket. Safe, no doubt.

It's better to just keep the sipper on my tank bag shut.

The Otterbox on my HTC phone makes it a little bulky compared to how slim the phone is, but it's not that bad. But I think your phone looks a little thicker than mine so I suppose I can see why you say that.

Since I know I can be clumsy, I will deal with the bulk. lol

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Good find on the phone and it showed it's quality..

I'm also looking for replacement phone's for me and the misses... apple should come up with something good otherwise I'll likely have a look at the Sony Experia Z

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Good find on the phone and it showed it's quality..

I'm also looking for replacement phone's for me and the misses... apple should come up with something good otherwise I'll likely have a look at the Sony Experia Z

I'm happy with my HTC phone.. and I'm rocking a 2-year old model.

The HTC One X came out last year. Yes, it works with your country's Orange Dominicana and Claro.

eBay is selling them new starting at US$358
. Just make sure you purchase one that is unlocked, such as the ones in my link.

Or you can always go for the newer HTC One which just came out this month, which also works with Orange and Claro as long as you buy it unlocked, but I think this one costs US$760 right now. Too rich for me if you ask me.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Carrier Compatibility

Hi,

Want to consider a Defy+ to use with Claro. The Defy+ Tech details say it's 3G 850/2100MHZ and Claro frequencies are said to be 850/1900. Will the Defy+ function on that system? Thanks in advance for any input.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hi,

Want to consider a Defy+ to use with Claro. The Defy+ Tech details say it's 3G 850/2100MHZ and Claro frequencies are said to be 850/1900. Will the Defy+ function on that system? Thanks in advance for any input.
Yep. I think the Defy+ is both 850/900 on 3G. Works with Orange, too...

You'll want a new launcher. The MotoBlur sucks.