Origin of DR1ers

Where are you from?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This poll is in response to this.

If anyone wants to be more precise, post away...

Western Europe: Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, San Marino, Vatican City, Andorra, Litchtestein, Austria, Hungary, Monaco

Eastern Europe: Every other European country not listed in the Western Europe category plus Russia. Turkey is not European for this poll.

Caribbean Islands: Includes overseas territories (ie. If you're from the Turks and Caicos, vote Caribbean Islands not UK; if you're from Martinique, vote Caribbean Islands not Western Europe.)

Everything else should be quite straight forward.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This poll is in response to this.

If anyone wants to be more precise, post away...

Western Europe: Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Ireland, San Marino, Vatican City, Andorra, Litchtestein, Austria, Hungary, Monaco

Eastern Europe: Every other European country not listed in the Western Europe category plus Russia. Turkey is not European for this poll.

Caribbean Islands: Includes overseas territories (ie. If you're from the Turks and Caicos, vote Caribbean Islands not UK; if you're from Martinique, vote Caribbean Islands not Western Europe.)

Everything else should be quite straight forward.

The question in that thread is about ethnic background but I voted for where I live right now. Maybe I read it wrong but I'm a DR1 member and I'm from Canada. :)

Maybe it should read what is your
ethnic background because we already have a few threads on where we come from as DR1 members

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can't reply as mine isn't covered :( unless I could select both UK and Western Europe.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Where am I from ?

Not sure (depends on the day) :)

Can't pick one !

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm not sure I know how to answer this question? I lived here in the DR in the 60's before i started grade school. Then we went back to the U.S in the 60's and i went to grade school in the U.S until the end of 8th grade. At the beginning of High School, we moved back here to the DR so that i could start high school here. I went to high school here for 2.5 years before returning back to the U.S to finish high school. After high school, i went to college and then i moved to Norway. My father retired and came back home to the DR in 1992. I've been spending my winters here in the DR ever since 92, but going back to Norway every spring and summer to work.

Where am i from...i have no idea. I imagine there are many more people like me---caught in-between easy to define definitions of where we are from--having grown up in-between two different countries.

I no longer have a U.S driver's license; I just use my Norwegian Driver's license wherever i travel to. Why? because a Norwegian Driver's license is good for 100 years. You never have to renew it. It's good for life! Same goes for all of Scandinavia i believe.

Frank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Poor you , Frankie G

Like the old song about the confused young man.........

Too old for girls and too young for women,
just like a fish, that can't go a-swimmin'

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As someone else suggested, ethnicity might be better than country of origin.

Regardless what non-Americans might think, there are big differences between an Italian American, an Irish American, a Jewish American, an African American, etc. Our traditions are not only American, but often very ethnic. Many of us are only a generation or two removed from Europe.

Some of us are the immigrants, like Frank12 and Mr. AE, who has lived in the US way longer than he has the DR. They have one foot in each place. Frank12 seems to have 3 feet.

For example, I had to smile over Easter dinner yesterday, Mr. AE arguing with a brother-in-law who writes for Listin Diario and has a TV show highlighting current events and politics - about DR laws. Mr. AE sounding so American, outraged at some of the things that happen here, and the BIL so Dominican, defending the 'difference' here. Both very articulate.

At that moment, Mr. AE had his American hat on. But if he took this survey, he'd swear he was firmly Dominican.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Some of us are the immigrants, like Frank12 and Mr. AE, who has lived in the US way longer than he has the DR. They have one foot in each place. Frank12 seems to have 3 feet.

i think the third leg shrank severely after he zapped himself with that taser...

like what? caucasian kinda thing? i think people see it as quite offensive, no? personally i never saw the issue. i come from extremely boring country. nearly everyone is polish and white. i always find it interesting to learn that people may have a problem with self identification regarding nationality or ethnicity.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I have always been confused by hyphenated americans. If you don't consider yourself an American, call yourself something else, instead of a Jewish American or why not just Jew?

The reason for the hyphenation is sort of like the reason for latino surnames.

Latinos use the surnames of both their father and mother, to preserve the family name, and honor their heritage. It also makes things easier in terms of politics in the home, esp. with big families.

Likewise, Americans "hyphenate" to honor both their past as well as their future. There is no country in the world that is as large a true melting pot as the U.S. Because of the lack of homogeneity, we don't really think of being "American" as an ethnicity so much as extolling a set of virtues (freedom, democracy, all that).

So, it is nice to be able to describe where our ancestors hail from in the same breath as proudly proclaiming our Americanness.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008

Regardless what non-Americans might think, there are big differences between an Italian American, an Irish American, a Jewish American, an African American, etc. Our traditions are not only American, but often very ethnic. Many of us are only a generation or two removed from Europe.

For example, I had to smile over Easter dinner yesterday, Mr. AE arguing with a brother-in-law who writes for Listin Diario and has a TV show highlighting current events and politics - about DR laws. Mr. AE sounding so American, outraged at some of the things that happen here, and the BIL so Dominican, defending the 'difference' here. Both very articulate.

At that moment, Mr. AE had his American hat on. But if he took this survey, he'd swear he was firmly Dominican.

You might have given just the reason why United States of America is losing its strengths. Correct me if I am wrong because I don't know the time before I was born. But even in couple of decades ago it was rare to hear someone say I am African-American, Italian-American, Irish-American, Mexican-American, and Chinese-American and so on. You are either American or else. This whole generalization of people in the country of USA is more and more look like country is being divided inside. What you are saying is. Yes, we are all Americans on paper but we are Dominican, Italian, Irish, Chinese etc.. first. I know you can't change your color of your skins or ethnicity but where have those "I am American and I am proud of it" kind of mentality go? Yes I do have Italian-Irish and probably other blood mixture in me but I don't go out of my way to say I am Italian-Irish-American-Mut.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
The reason for the hyphenation is sort of like the reason for latino surnames.

Latinos use the surnames of both their father and mother, to preserve the family name, and honor their heritage. It also makes things easier in terms of politics in the home, esp. with big families.

Likewise, Americans "hyphenate" to honor both their past as well as their future. There is no country in the world that is as large a true melting pot as the U.S. Because of the lack of homogeneity, we don't really think of being "American" as an ethnicity so much as extolling a set of virtues (freedom, democracy, all that).

So, it is nice to be able to describe where our ancestors hail from in the same breath as proudly proclaiming our Americanness.

No. DRob. It all started when people became overly sensitive on everything. It became so ridiculous that to call African-American men a American fellow becomes racists. In some twisted way a guy I said hello to believed when I said American Fellow=white. Lighten up people. you have became way too sensitive!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Let me speak for the United Stated of America on this subject. You can call yourself a Martian American, Rabbit American, Taco man, Dominicano etc.

If a Mexican wants to feel good by calling himself a "Mexican-American the USA will not stop him.

The one thing that we will not allow anyone to call themselves is a " TAX EVADER" this is not open for discussion EVER!!!
but if your taxes are paid up you can call yourself a "talking penis" if you like we will not stop you.

No matter if you are in prison, military, or in everyday life you are a NUMBER that is how we distinguish you people from one another, but if being a Polish-American, Mexican-American, Dominican-American help people we the USA are all for it.

I hope this help.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Let me speak for the United Stated of America on this subject. You can call yourself a Martian American, Rabbit American, Taco man, Dominicano etc.

If a Mexican wants to feel good by calling himself a "Mexican-American the USA will not stop him.

The one thing that we will not allow anyone to call themselves is a " TAX EVADER" this is not open for discussion EVER!!!
but if your taxes are paid up you can call yourself a "talking penis" if you like we will not stop you.

No matter if you are in prison, military, or in everyday life you are a NUMBER that is how we distinguish you people from one another, but if being a Polish-American, Mexican-American, Dominican-American help people we the USA are all for it.

I hope this help.

BTW If you do not have a certain number to accompany your Mexican American label like a birth number, SS, or the number on you G CARD etc you can still very well be a Mexican-American but you will do it from Mexico. The USA is not about removing labels that people are proud of.

I will never understand people and their labels.