In Need of a grouter for my pool

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
All I need is someone to remove the old grout and replace it with new grout and do it properly. The pool only has a small line of tiles at the top and should only take some one that does this for a living just a half a day or even less. Thanks very much Phil

Dec 26, 2011
The pool only has a small line of tiles at the top and should only take some one that does this for a living just a half a day or even less.

If you don't do it for a living how do you know how long it "should" take?

May 29, 2006
Putting in the new grout is easy. It's taking out the old stuff(without damaging tiles) that takes time, esp with mortar and even more so with small tiles. I've done the work and it's not so quick.

I'd look into refinishing before re-grouting.

Dec 26, 2011
Putting in the new grout is easy. It's taking out the old stuff(without damaging tiles) that takes time, esp with mortar and even more so with small tiles. I've done the work and it's not so quick.

I'd look into refinishing before re-grouting.

Exactly. If it's a mosaic style installation it will be very labor intensive. Could take days as opposed to hours.

Dec 26, 2011
I meant no disrespect, Phil. Just see customers fall in that trap frequently and it gets you off to a bad beginning. Talk to a few tradesmen. You'll get a feel for who knows what they're talking about. Be careful about paying by the hour as you could get milked. Ask about a guarantee. Ask good questions and see if you get sensible answers.

Good luck!

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Wonderful thanks everyone. When I was younger and stronger I did some grout work. But perhaps I am wrong on the amount of time it will take. Thanks again everyone.

May 29, 2006
It really depends very much on if it's grout or mortar. Grout is soft enough where you can get it out without too much trouble but mortar would be a completely different job. I've laid mosaic tile into thick wet mortar and then just wiped up the excess before it set all the way. Then you'd pretty much need to rip the whole thing up and start fresh.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Im sorry what is grout? I have a pool, with tiles above water line but painted ciment for all the rest. Any idea of total price to get pool tiled( Im having a real hard time cleaning it loads of dirt and not much electricity) ?thanks

May 29, 2006
For tiling a pool, they would quote you a price per sq meter based on what materials you were to use. Definitely something you'd want references for. The price range for finish work on a pool can be huge. Sometimes they whack at the concrete with hammers to make a rough surface for the mortar to stick to, and it's a huge amount of area to work on. If you tile directly onto the old paint, the tiles can fall off eventually. You can also get special pool paint, but it might be pricey. Be prepared for sticker shock whatever you do.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
grout is this space between tiles filled with stuff. a b**ch to clean. i wish i would find someone to re-grout our bathroom but i was told it would be better to re-tile it altogether...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone come across a good grout sealer compound in SD? Ive had new tiles installed on my terrace which is exposed to weather so obviously would like to seal/waterproof/Muchacha-clorox proof.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Very recently was quoted $4,500 US for a fairly small commercial pool to totally tile....bottom, side and perimeter, 130 M2.
Other quote was $5,100 but for Diamond Brite, not tile. Both include total prep work required and clean up.