10 Must-Try Dominican Recipes

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all savory recipes there absolutely rock. i love every single dish (apart from rice but that ain't food to me).
sancocho is probably one of my absolutely most favourite foods. paired with mondongo, i guess. so yummy!

but all sweets on this list suck.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
all savory recipes there absolutely rock. i love every single dish (apart from rice but that ain't food to me).
sancocho is probably one of my absolutely most favourite foods. paired with mondongo, i guess. so yummy!

but all sweets on this list suck.

All sweets such? I've made the Dominican cake many times and everyone loves it. Different tastes I guess. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am more into layer cakes like schwarzw?lder kirschtorte. dominican cake is just gross, i hate it. habichuela con dulce i will not even comment, this should be delegalized. and any drink containing milk is a big no no to me. yes, it is all in taste :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Different strokes for different folks! The real Dominican Bizcocho is lost! Only a few know the authentic recipe and they guard it with their life.I remember years ago I had some at a birthday party and it was sooo good!Those who know the real Dominican Cake will tell you it has a different taste than the ones made today.Not even Aunt Clara compares.Those that have the recipe do not want to share.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Different strokes for different folks! The real Dominican Bizcocho is lost! Only a few know the authentic recipe and they guard it with their life.I remember years ago I had some at a birthday party and it was sooo good!Those who know the real Dominican Cake will tell you it has a different taste than the ones made today.Not even Aunt Clara compares.Those that have the recipe do not want to share.

Our taste buds change as we get older too :)

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
Sunday went to my girls aunts casa..She made all the regular D.R. dishes and than the desserts I had it before but hers really was good..It was the sweet cream of beans (habichuelas con dulce) my girl had it hot..Her uncles said wait till it is cold so I did it was very good..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have had, I should say tried, all of the top 10 items. However:

My family was in the bakery business. In 10 years I have had one cake made locally by a Dominican baker that I liked.

Unlike DV8, I have always liked rice so I don't object to dishes based upon rice. I cannot eat foods based upon green plantains. I have yet to find one that I enjoy so two of the ten items, Mangu and Tostones, are if I never had them again I would not miss them foods. Actually an exaggeration since I don't consider green plantains food items.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
why are some of these referred to as Dominican foods? what is Dominican about white rice? stewed chicken? stewed beans? green vegetable salad? morir sonando? you mean that because Dominicans also eat them, they are Dominican food? heck, every country has morir sonando. it's an orange julius, for chrissakes! stewed beans? the boricuas also make it, and far better than any i have ever had here. vegetable salad? what is that stuff i get in restaurants in the States?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Hey Gorgon we know you criticize all things Dominican,yet you live here. It has to do with the flavor,each country has its own unique way of preparing food.Therefore they can claim it their own.Why are you living in the DR if the food is better some place else? Or everything else . I'm just baffled.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hey Gorgon we know you criticize all things Dominican,yet you live here. It has to do with the flavor,each country has its own unique way of preparing food.Therefore they can claim it their own.Why are you living in the DR if the food is better some place else? Or everything else . I'm just baffled.

where did i make mention of the relative merits of each country's preparation of the aforementioned? when i think of sauerkraut, it is, in my mind, German ( i might be wrong, but it is from that part of the planet, i think ) that is German food, to my way of thinking. it is peculiar in its preparation. how do you prepare plain white rice in such a way as to make it peculiar to a specific country? because Clara says that the grains are separated? anyone who knows how to cook rice can do that. it is like saying coffee is a Dominican beverage, because most people drink it. what is critical about that?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

guess what? my choice to live here does not fall under the purview of your prerogative to inquire.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
where did i make mention of the relative merits of each country's preparation of the aforementioned? when i think of sauerkraut, it is, in my mind, German ( i might be wrong, but it is from that part of the planet, i think ) that is German food, to my way of thinking. it is peculiar in its preparation. how do you prepare plain white rice in such a way as to make it peculiar to a specific country? because Clara says that the grains are separated? anyone who knows how to cook rice can do that. it is like saying coffee is a Dominican beverage, because most people drink it. what is critical about that?

I'm not talking about just rice.I didn't say you mentioned it! I brought it up so you can see why the DR calls it Dominincan food just like the Puerto Ricans call it Puertorrican food. whether you like it or not.

Last edited: