Moving to Santo Domingo after college

ScarletPanda

Apr 1, 2013
Hi, I am an American of dominican decent. Ive spent 1/4 of the year every year living in DR with my family. Currently my friends and family are suggesting i move to DR for a bit once I graduate college. I am posting because im hoping fellow users can be honest with me and let me know what i should be expecting of moving to DR. I am also curious to know about the Visa process and how that works. Thanks guys!

devdev

May 14, 2011
panda~but u said you live here 1/4 of the yr, each year...don't u know what to expect already? what do u mean when u ask what to be expecting??? what part of santo domingo will you be living in?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Derfish:

How many Presidentes have you had today? Why would you make a statement like that to a person that you don't know and is asking for some real advice? Next time check yourself.

LTSTeve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Scarlet Panda:

I would think long and hard about what you want to do after college and how this would be impacted by moving to the DR. What job opportunities would you have vs. the US. The pay in the DR will probably be much less than what you would make in the states. Even though you have spent a lot of time in the DR living there full time could be challenging. That being said. Nothing can substitute for having family in your life. Tough decision. You need to come up with a time table of what you want to due down the road.

LTSteve

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hi, I am an American of dominican decent. Ive spent 1/4 of the year every year living in DR with my family. Currently my friends and family are suggesting i move to DR for a bit once I graduate college. I am posting because im hoping fellow users can be honest with me and let me know what i should be expecting of moving to DR. I am also curious to know about the Visa process and how that works. Thanks guys!
You don't need a visa. You can actually claim Dominican citizenship by proving that at least one of your parents was born in Dominican Republic. Technically you are Dominican, as per the Dominican constitution, but have yet to get your papers (mainly the c?dula and passport.)

Search the forums, the procedure has been explained a million times so something should pop up.

Oh yes, almost forgot to say that the United States and the Dominican Republic both recognize dual citizenship, so no worries about losing your American citizenship in the process.

ScarletPanda

Apr 1, 2013
panda~but u said you live here 1/4 of the yr, each year...don't u know what to expect already? what do u mean when u ask what to be expecting??? what part of santo domingo will you be living in?

Well I mean how do claim citizenship, where do you guys suggest I bank. What should I expect about getting a phone or car, should i even bother getting a car. ETC ETC, Im kinda just looking for words of advice from people who made the transition from the states themselves.

ScarletPanda

Apr 1, 2013
You don't need a visa. You can actually claim Dominican citizenship by proving that at least one of your parents was born in Dominican Republic. Technically you are Dominican, as per the Dominican constitution, but have yet to get your papers (mainly the c?dula and passport.)

Search the forums, the procedure has been explained a million times so something should pop up.

Oh yes, almost forgot to say that the United States and the Dominican Republic both recognize dual citizenship, so no worries about losing your American citizenship in the process.

do you know how one can go about getting dual citizenship?

Jan 3, 2003
Go live in the DR. There are about 50,000 non-Dominicans who live in the DR, probably more I don't know. Many post on this forum. They may complain about certain inconveniences but they are there living 24-7. If it was as bad as many of us believe it to be the non-Dominican crowd living there would have dropped by 90%.

It is not South Vietnam when the Vietcong were about to enter the south and Americans escaped in helicopters from the Embassy rooftop. I myself am quite vociferous on stating how horrible it is to live there but those that can leave overwhelmingly stay so that is quite a powerful counterargument to my negativity concerning the DR.

Undoubtedly, there is much crime. Life for the average Dominican is getting harder by the day. The peso continues to devalue and with prices rising much faster than wages the average family is feeling the pinch. But that is not your concern. If you have access to dollars it is as good as gold because within the DR it is a depository of wealth. The peso has lost near 98% of its value versus the dollar so you'll be OK if you have access to dollars.

Last edited: