Running central ac cost.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
What can I expect to pay more or less,running central ac,from say 7:30pm to 6:00 am,maybe 220 square meter apartment,on EdeSur? Thanks,I gave as much details as possibles.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Never rent a place with "Central AC" in the DR!
Get "split inverter units"!
Then just cool the room/rooms you want.MUCH CHEAPER!
When "Central" breaks down, you whole place gets hot.
"Central" ducts get dirty, and possibly "Moldy" which is worse, and VERY hard to clean.
A friend bought a LARGE condo, pre construction.
"Central AC" was an option.
I convinced him to go "Splits".
He LOVES ME!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Everybody loves you CC.

Splits are better, if one breaks, you still have some place cool to go.

"R"

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
Thanks all,those $500 USD I keep hearing about really scare me.
Be scared I bought to wall units (not window wall)1 for living room one for bedroom.. Bill went from 1700peso to 9000peso. Got celling fans and watch the times I turn them on and off..Got bill down to 4500peso can live with that cost..

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Be scared I bought to wall units (not window wall)1 for living room one for bedroom.. Bill went from 1700peso to 9000peso. Got celling fans and watch the times I turn them on and off..Got bill down to 4500peso can live with that cost..

Roughly what I paid last summer with one 8000 BTU window unit. Though I used it only when I was ready to go to bed.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Central AC is dicey. First, is it 3 phase or 2 phase? Are you wired for it? I have both in one of my houses and spend a **** load of money every month to keep it going (for North Americanos who chill everything). Split A/C is sooo much better albeit not as efficient as central.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Central AC is dicey. First, is it 3 phase or 2 phase? Are you wired for it? I have both in one of my houses and spend a **** load of money every month to keep it going (for North Americanos who chill everything). Split A/C is sooo much better albeit not as efficient as central.

Not sure,what difference would it make,2 or three phase?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Not sure,what difference would it make,2 or three phase?

Please, What is 2 phase????????????

Depending on size, there are significant advantages to 3 phase over single phase......but again I am stumped, what is 2 phase?

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
2-phase to me would mean 120-volt, 3-phase 240-volt. Bigger unit needing larger electric draw.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
2-Phase is older, albeit more typical, electrical hookup. 3-Phase is often seen in commercial applications. The point being that in one instance I purchased a (very expensive) central a/c for a property I have only to discover after installation that it was a 3-Phase system. Unfortunately the Edenorte wiring into the property is only 2-Phase so I either upgrade the transformer (expensive) or run the generator when I want to use that a/c unit (also expensive). So I was recommending the OP to make sure you know your wiring before you buy.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
So I was recommending the OP to make sure you know your wiring before you buy.

With this kind of appliance, your electrical configuration determines what you can get.

Unless of course, you're mister Money Bags, in which case you can get whatever you want.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I think the easiest way to tell is by the number of wires coming into your property if it's an aerial drop.

If you have three coming in, you have a 2-phase (ground, lead, return). If there's four, then you have 3-phase.

Typical households are only provided 2-phase. You would need an upgrade.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
how can you tell in a building???

I think the easiest way to tell is by the number of wires coming into your property if it's an aerial drop.

If you have three coming in, you have a 2-phase (ground, lead, return). If there's four, then you have 3-phase.

Typical households are only provided 2-phase. You would need an upgrade.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Go to your building's basement or utility point of entry and take a look.

Depending on size of building, it may have it's own transformer and/or distribution grid. It gets a little more complicated and likely costly for you if that's the case.