Old Supermercado Nacional in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
4:15pm on a Monday and here is what it looked like:

calico-ghost-town-barstow-cacalic1.jpg

tumbleweed-006.jpg

The streets were JAMMED, and the parking lot at the new SN store fairly full.

Did they cannibalize themselves with the new store? Maybe Frank the Tank is correct: over-saturation.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
SN charges $5-$10 pesos more than just about any other supermarket in Santiago. Ive been and compared: La Fuente, Bravo, Pola, Nacional, and Plaza Lama. From my shopping Bravo and La Fuente have the cheapest prices. However, I always go to Bravo cause of the convenience in parking and the staff is very friendly (so far at least). Its a bitch to park at La Fuente.

For the people who shop at Nacional, why do you go there if everything is $5-$10 more than the other supermarkets?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Used to go there cos of the book store which had english and french books....and mc donalds right next door...

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I think it's due to the initial "fiebre" of the new Naticional in Villa Olga, Dominicans are all about what's in style, and what's new. Besides, I think the new nacional has some especial offers. Once the "fiebre" of the new naticional fades away, everyone who lives in los Jardines, cerros de Gurabo, and anyone west of hache we'll be back at shopping at the old National, simply because is closer to their homes.

All that said, I think La sirena (Pola) has a better marketing strategy, in part because all their 4 supermarkets are well distance from each other, and they're all in 4 very strategic locations in different parts of the city. While the two nacionales in my opinion are pretty close to each other.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I think it's due to the initial "fiebre" of the new Naticional in Villa Olga, Dominicans are all about what's in style, and what's new. Besides, I think the new nacional has some especial offers. Once the "fiebre" of the new naticional fades away, everyone who lives in los Jardines, cerros de Gurabo, and anyone west of hache we'll be back at shopping at the old National, simply because is closer to their homes.

All that said, I think La sirena (Pola) has a better marketing strategy, in part because all their 4 supermarkets are well distance from each other, and they're all in 4 very strategic locations in different parts of the city. While the two nacionales in my opinion are pretty close to each other.

Sorry about the "dislike" it was unintentional.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Every time I pass by the place I can't help but to agree with you. I mean without traffic and lights it will take me less then 3 minutes to reach other Supermarket. I guess it's another Dominican business logic, compete with everyone even the store you own.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I shop at the "old" Nacional because I like the selection, the bread and the veggies. And the manager happens to be a very dear, old friend of mine. Their seafood is very good and their deli, while expensive, has very good stuff...for that special cheese and crackers, dips and such, they are fine.

I also shop Pola, and my son is urging me to go to Bravo, which I suppose I will get around to. It has some interesting features that I want to explore.

That said, I have to agree with Frank12 and saturation. I get the feeling we must be getting awfully close to the bursting point.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"What HillBilly Said!!!!!
AND, I shop the "Specials".
At "National", Pola,Bravo, Jumbo(Nationals Brother stare)"Ole", you name it, I shop there.
But I live 3 blocks from Arroyo Hondo's National, shopped there since it opened, KNOW everyone who works there, and buy in bulk when the price is low.
Today was 35% off "Veggies" at "Jumbo".
I went to Luperon, SD.
Manana is "National's" 50% a few produce items, 20% off all produce.
"Pola's" produce is also on special Wednesdays.
Detergent can be as much as 90 pesos cheaper, Fab, and Omo brands, when on sale.
Nationals meats are first class, always fresh. You NEVER have to toss something because it "stinks"!
One BIG Caution!
National, and Jumbo, all too often, will "Ring Up" the normal price, not the "special price"!
You should check prices at the "Lectores" around the store, AND as they ring up!
"Good Shopping!"
Besides, I first met "HB" in Supermercado National Santiago about 15 years ago!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It feels like they are trying to build one supermarket for every single person in Santiago.

I also like to stop by old Nacional as well not only because of I feel they have better food selections there then new but because of my son's love of the Mac Donald's playground and satisfy my craving for Big Mac sometimes. Also this was way before I started working here and when I first visited Santiago way back for different purpose. Folks here took me to Nacional as hurricane had me stuck in Santiago. I remember, when you have to buy some fruit or veggie you have to have them weigh and priced out before you go to check out. I wonder how long ago it was changed? Never came back after that so I wouldn't know when they start just carrying to checkout counter.

I remember back then....
Being single...
In DR....
Good times... Good times....