Halt to American, Iberia flights deal blow to tourism, airline workers

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/to...-flights-deal-blow-to-tourism-airline-workers

Santo Domingo.- Today Monday is the day American Airlines and Iberia will no longer cover the Santo Domingo routes to New York, Puerto Rico, and Madrid, reportedly due those carriers’ economic situation.

American Airlines, which had daily Santo Domingo-New York flights, said it will continue its flights from the country to Miami, whereas Iberia will halt its service to Madrid altogether starting today.

Meanwhile American Airlines regional carrier American Eagle yesterday suspended its Santo Domingo-San Juan flight.

Employees of the three carriers at Las Americas Airport are awaiting information from airline executives as their job status, as the suspensions deals a hard blow to the tourism industry.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That blows...means much higher prices for people traveling to The DR. I hope at least these routes get re-established once the US Air deal goes through

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not only higher prices but much less convenience in that many Florida connections would mean a long layover or even spending the night in Miami.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to me that the route NY ==> DR would be very profitable as these planes seem to always be full. I can just hope that Southwest or other lower fare carriers warm up to it...Yeah I know we have Spirit and Jetblue, but now that American won't be flying there Jetblue will jack up their prices for sure. I only fly Spirit if there's no other choice.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If the market exists, other airlines will fill the void adding more flights, or new airlines will cover it. I think the route is profitable, if you can't make money with that route you really need to look for the cause somewhere else.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
NY TO SD route will be handed over to Jet Blue. MAD to SD route will be taken over by Air Europa. So hopefully there will be no drop in tourism, just a consolidation of routes and airlines. But yes, the airline employees will be affected.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and useless to me here, on the NC. the cost, time and trouble of getting to PUJ is prohibitive unless there is really a fantastic deal on the flight...

i am getting more and more worried about our trip to europe this year. we plan to do london and then poland. that means probably just one big ticket (one airline): DR-UK-germany-DR. i do not even know where to start...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect AA restructuring/bankruptcy and the merger with US Air, along with the serious financial condition of Iberia have more to do with it.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
and useless to me here, on the NC. the cost, time and trouble of getting to PUJ is prohibitive unless there is really a fantastic deal on the flight...

i am getting more and more worried about our trip to europe this year. we plan to do london and then poland. that means probably just one big ticket (one airline): DR-UK-germany-DR. i do not even know where to start...

Expensive, but you can get there from Puerto Plata on United Airlines.

from
$1,916

2 tickets
at this price
Depart:
2:11 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 18, 2013
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (POP) Arrive:
6:07 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 18, 2013
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Flight Time:
3 hr 56 mn Award Miles/
Premier Qualifying*:
1,456 /100% Flight: UA1484
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Fare Class: United Economy (T)

United Economy (T)
Available Cabins: Meal: Meals for Purchase
No Special Meal Offered.
See On-Time Performance

UA1484 POP - EWR
There is no recent record of delay and cancellation percentages for this flight.View Seats
Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 2 hours 53 minutes.
Depart:
9:00 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 18, 2013
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Arrive:
9:25 a.m. +1 Day
Fri., Jul. 19, 2013
London, England (LHR - Heathrow) Flight Time:
7 hr 25 mn Award Miles/
Premier Qualifying*:
3,466 /100% Flight: UA17
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Fare Class: United Economy (T)

United Economy (T)
Available Cabins: Meal: Dinner
See On-Time Performance

UA17 EWR - LHR
There is no recent record of delay and cancellation percentages for this flight.View Seats
Change Planes. Connect time in London, England (LHR - Heathrow) is 5 hours 45 minutes.
Depart:
3:10 p.m.
Fri., Jul. 19, 2013
London, England (LHR - Heathrow) Arrive:
5:50 p.m.
Fri., Jul. 19, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) Flight Time:
1 hr 40 mn

Travel Time:
21 hr 39 mn Award Miles/
Premier Qualifying*:

Total Award Miles:
4,922 Flight: LH909
Operated by Lufthansa.
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Fare Class: Economy (T)

Economy (T)
Available Cabins: Meal: Snack
No Special Meal Offered.
See On-Time Performance

LH909 LHR - FRA
There is no recent record of delay and cancellation percentages for this flight.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I fly over once a year for a 6 month stay. I have always come via madid from geneva to las americas. The sevice is rubbish but they were by far the cheapast. From geneva to santo domingo, hardly any airlines propose anything, and since I always have like 8 cases I dont want to get charged twice( ge mad mad sdq). Last ticket arrived 1 november leave 2nd half of may 970 chf, like a bit over 1000 dollars, by comparaison air france 1800chf....... So I wont miss the horrible service 8f iberia but I will miss its low prices!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
timotero, i appreciate your efforts. however, i did not mention we cannot travel via USA. ironically it's me who does not have a visa, miesposo has it and had for years. i always mean to get it and then get discouraged with all the bureaucracy behind it...

so we can only travel directly to europe. any schengen country is fine, he has a visa, i don't need one. the plan we have is: DR-london, london-berlin, berlin-DR. the first and last leg will have stopovers. there are direct flights from DR to london and berlin, but connection point is PUJ and that gives me nothing because it takes 6-8 hrs drive to get to PUJ.

last time i went home in airbelin but they are not cheap :(

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Go Jetairfly dv8. Fly to brussels from POP and then get the train to London. Cheap and fun.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and long :) i have all the time in the world but miesposo has only as much holidays, we are strung for time as it is...
it always sucks because at the end of the day comfort and speed (relative) always win with costs.
some say condor has cheap flights but i cannot find their schedule and prices online...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Delta Increase to 3 daily Direct fiighs from JFK to SDQ too, and Air Europa during low season will have 11 flights per week and in hight season 14 flighs per week. Air Europa also anounced that will conect San Juan via Santo Domingo with jetblue conections, so maybe now they will have 14 flights per week MAD-SDQ-MAD whole year.

Last edited: