Looks promising(policia nacional)

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not trying to be funny,but that guy,Fadul(ministro de interior y policia) Really sounds like he did the research.I mean,it can be all talk,but if they actually applied those seven steps,I feel things might get a lil better.He even touch on salaries,which is the number one thing.They should double or triple the salaries to begin with.Corruption is always gonna be there,but if you give this guy s living wage,things might get a lil better.This guy,wants to create a internal affairs department that no longer is gonna be under the jurisdiction of "el jefe de la policia",promotions based on merit and not on seniority,etc.It sound promising,but it's a good step forward.Here's the article in Spanish from the listin diario.

Ascender?n por desempe?o?y no por antig?edad en la Polic?a - listindiario.com

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know i risk sounding like an idiot here but i have faith :) many changes take years, if not generations, to be fully carried on and accepted. DR has a potential to be a place where things work well. look at metro buses: reliable and well run, much better that bus services in poland, i can tell you.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
If those guys,Brito and and Fadul accomplished their goals,it's definitely gonna be interesting.Brito should start with an elite anti corruption unit,that only answers to him.No more kickbacks pa' eso pendejo que no hacen nada.Every seizure(money) throw it in a fund for police payroll.They should probably take a look at how the NYPD is run.Not because is from the US,nut because it's a big department run well on a big metropolis.instead of giving this big politicos 96000 USD jeepetas,you can give policias a decent salary so these guys can have some morales!!!! I support that 8 hour shift they are proposing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is little chance things will change as long as there is a so called war on drugs. Too much money is too be made because of that war and that will continue the corruption until that war is stopped.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is little chance things will change as long as there is a so called war on drugs. Too much money is too be made because of that war and that will continue the corruption until that war is stopped.

Favorite theme, much?

th

May 12, 2005
I'm not trying to be funny,but that guy,Fadul(ministro de interior y policia) Really sounds like he did the research.I mean,it can be all talk,but if they actually applied those seven steps,I feel things might get a lil better.He even touch on salaries,which is the number one thing.They should double or triple the salaries to begin with.Corruption is always gonna be there,but if you give this guy s living wage,things might get a lil better.This guy,wants to create a internal affairs department that no longer is gonna be under the jurisdiction of "el jefe de la policia",promotions based on merit and not on seniority,etc.It sound promising,but it's a good step forward.Here's the article in Spanish from the listin diario.

Ascender?n por desempe?o*y no por antig?edad en la Polic?a - listindiario.com

It's a start. Things aren't going to change overnight but the ship is getting turned in the right direction.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
i know i risk sounding like an idiot here but i have faith :) many changes take years, if not generations, to be fully carried on and accepted. DR has a potential to be a place where things work well. look at metro buses: reliable and well run, much better that bus services in poland, i can tell you.

I agree; most of my friends say this isn't going to work. One of these is a cop himself and says that unless they don't increase the salaries, nothing will work. Hes got a point. I bet they got many of these ideas from Giuliani; man, you got to give it to the guy, he really cleaned up NY.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I like the ideas as well, but he could start by recalling all of those police officers who are getting a salary all the while are at the service of some private party watching their "fincas" or driving around the General's "novias" or like one that I know of running errands (i.e. picking up take out) for the son of a colonel who is in Najayo for killing a guy.

It's obvious that we have plenty of police bodies already. You can see that during Semana Santa they were all called in to serve and as a result their presence was felt all over the place. I believe these people are serious about doing something when I see them taking these kinds of actions, otherwise it's just more "lipstick on the pig..."

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Favorite theme, much?

th

YES. And some people are starting to understand reality. The dead horse is the failed war on drugs. Whenever I see a post about replacing the police because they were corrupt it is like they just cut and paste the story from an old news article and change the names. Then in six months to a year they get arrested and replaced and they print the same story again about how much hope they will have that the problem will be fixed. It won't be fixed by replacing the people.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Seen it ALL, a hundred times before!
When I first came here in 1986, there were "New Plans", to improve the electricity "problem", stop corruption, and fight "crime"!
They sounded exactly like today's "New Plans"!
Nothing to report yet!
EXCEPT, that all three "Problems" are MUCH, Much worse.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 26, 2011
I bet they got many of these ideas from Giuliani; man, you got to give it to the guy, he really cleaned up NY

Very true. It's all about myriad seemingly insignificant changes that create a "tipping point". Malcolm Gladwell explains it well in his book by that name. Removing graffiti from subway cars and arresting turnstile jumpers were considered wasted effort and use of resources until both worked.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The corruption in the police is representative of the systemic corruption throughout the entire DR. Change happens from the top. Until the brass of the cops the military and the seven hundred different depts stop stealing, taking bribes and nepotinistic patronage is the order of the day the PN will stay the way it is. No one wants to be the whore in church. Its been happening for the last fifteen years LOL Im sure when I retire in twenty years it will still be happening.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The politicians in the DR are no different than anyplace else in the world. They all seem to make promises they can't keep. With the state of the DR Gov budget, where are they going to come up with the funds to pay the police more? You can't justify police behavior but you certainly can see why many of them always seem to have their hands out. It's because they make so little and feel their behavior is justified to increase their "take home" pay. Don't see this changing anytime soon.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The politicians in the DR are no different than anyplace else in the world. They all seem to make promises they can't keep. With the state of the DR Gov budget, where are they going to come up with the funds to pay the police more? You can't justify police behavior but you certainly can see why many of them always seem to have their hands out. It's because they make so little and feel their behavior is justified to increase their "take home" pay. Don't see this changing anytime soon.

LTSteve

there is this repetitive refrain that police in the DR are all crooks, because they get such little salary compensation. if that shortfall is the explanation, then why is it that the politicos are all on the take, even though some of them make as much money as their first world counterparts?