AMET, Militares, Policias

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
AMET, Militares, Policias: Assuming that they're real, how do you tell them apart? What is their role/jurisdiction (besides doing the oky doke)? What features, if any, are conclusive identifiers?

May 12, 2005
AMET = Traffic Police , Green Uniforms (Only ones who can write/enforce traffic laws)

Policia Nacional = Municipal Police, grey uniforms

Tourist Police = Police for tourist areas, white shirts, blue pants

Military = Should be obvious (Army, Air Force, Navy)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
One thing that is very important. Make sure you have all of your documents in the car and in order. Copy of your title, insurance and cedula if you have one. If you have everything, odds are they will not be able to find anything wrong to ticket you on. Also playing possum and continually saying no comprendo may help also. If nothing else works fork over a couple of hundred pesos and be on your way. This is a lot easier than the hassle. As a warning Amet does run radar. I have observed this on Rt. 7 the Santo Domingo/Samana highway. Keep it around 60-65mph and they won't pull you over. Anything over this and you are probably fair game. Getting a ticket is not worth getting there a few minutes earlier.

LTSTeve

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Cops in chairs!

As a warning Amet does run radar. I have observed this on Rt. 7 the Santo Domingo/Samana highway. Keep it around 60-65mph and they won't pull you over.

Does anyone know if AMET will actually CHASE you??
I once passed the guys with their radar gun going at least 110--- They immediately made big "Pull Over!" gestures, but I kept going-- I thought maybe they'd radio ahead to the next toll stop; but nothing happened!

As was said in another thread:
the cops try to pull people over from chairs on the side of the road.
:)

Dec 26, 2011
Does anyone know if AMET will actually CHASE you??
I once passed the guys with their radar gun going at least 110--- They immediately made big "Pull Over!" gestures, but I kept going-- I thought maybe they'd radio ahead to the next toll stop; but nothing happened!

As was said in another thread:
:)

Excellent question. The only time I recall ever seeing anything even remotely threatening is on the toll road LTSteve mentioned. So I adjusted when I'd see "their" pickups. I say "their" because they weren't clearly marked as AMET and seemed more related to maintenance. But I have no idea if they pursue. Great question.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
AMET = Traffic Police , Green Uniforms (Only ones who can write/enforce traffic laws)

Policia Nacional = Municipal Police, grey uniforms

Tourist Police = Police for tourist areas, white shirts, blue pants

Military = Should be obvious (Army, Air Force, Navy)

Don't forget G2 division in their gray shirts & hats checking for weapons.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Excellent question. The only time I recall ever seeing anything even remotely threatening is on the toll road LTSteve mentioned. So I adjusted when I'd see "their" pickups. I say "their" because they weren't clearly marked as AMET and seemed more related to maintenance. But I have no idea if they pursue. Great question.

I've blown by them a number of times with no chasing so I am left to assume one of the following:

1) They have insufficient fuel in their vehicle to chase you;
2) They have no walkie talkie or long range radios;
3) They have insufficient minutes in their cell phones to call ahead;
4) They have a real "I do not care" attitude towards their jobs;
5) They have no idea who is in that car and do not want to lose their jobs;
6) ...etc.

Feb 7, 2007
Sometimes the police also wear camouflage uniforms, military-like.

like here

rastreo_zonaeste.jpg

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Not sure about AMET but as I found out, PN guys on bikes have no problem chasing after you. A few weeks back I decided to ignore a couple of PN guys who motioned me to stop (Santiago, late at night) and they were after me. I shook them off but apparently they radioed to others and they had me cornered down the road so I had no choice but stop (20 loaded guns pointed at me sort of dampened my high speed chase enthusiasm).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Forgive me if I told this story already.... a few weeks ago we were stopped at a light on the malecon by Coca Cola, heading east. Mr. AE's cousin has lent us his big black 2010 Lexus SUV, all windows tinted, for our stay.

Mr. AE says, "did you see those two cops on that motorcycle looking at us?" I didn't. They had made a left onto the malecon in front of us, and the car caught their attention I guess. They stopped and pulled over. Mr. AE said, "they're going to stop us", I thought he was overreacting, we were just sitting at a light! Soon as the light changed and we moved ahead, they pointed at us and said to pull over. Mr. AE wagged his finger "no" and kept going. These were PN. They followed us until the next light and got off bike and came to window. Mr. AE said he would pull over ahead, and he did.

Cop came to his window, looked at us, asked where we were travelling from, he told him. Cop says he goes to that beach all the time, do we own a business there? He said no. He looked over at me and asked if I was his wife. He said yes.

Never asked for ID, license, anything. Said he could tell Mr. AE was 'a serious man', and to stop next time someone tells him to.

Walked away.

We just looked at each other and drove off...... we were obviously profiled because of the car, and maybe because of the black windows. What other reason could there have been???

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
How did it end up for you? Did they let you go?

They checked my docs, and then one cop got into the car to take us to the station. A few intersections later a few hundred pesos exchanged hands and we parted ways, happy with the outcome. Apparently I was driving the wrong way on a one way street when the PN guys first tried to flagged me.