Fee for exportation of your pet

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
We are returning to Canada with our pets shortly. I had my Vet over here today to write out the Certificado de Salud which you need at the airport.
I was floored when he said it was RD$ 2500 per animal this year.
Can anybody who has left here recently with pets confirm this? It's just another money grab! They don't even examine the pets!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Haven't heard that 2500 peso story..... but who are you flying to Canada?

Cabin pets are OK this time of year... not kenneled ones that go below

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
No, I am not talking about the Airline. It is the certificate that is required from a Dominican vet for the Exportation of your Pet.
Now, come to think of it, nobody has ever asked me to see that certificate before boarding.???

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I flew last July with in cabin pet. I needed to have the certificate, "passport" and updated shots . Cost at Dr. Bob's was about 3,500K total. At the airport in Samana I had to show all the documents for my dog, and pay the "export" fee, about $10 US. In Canada I went through Customs, they asked for the documents and then you pay the "import" fee, about $35 Canadian.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I flew last July with in cabin pet. I needed to have the certificate, "passport" and updated shots . Cost at Dr. Bob's was about 3,500K total. At the airport in Samana I had to show all the documents for my dog, and pay the "export" fee, about $10 US. In Canada I went through Customs, they asked for the documents and then you pay the "import" fee, about $35 Canadian.

Thank you for the info.
Last year when we returned it was rd$ 3000 for my two cats from my vet here, plus the rd$ 600 at the airport and of course the re-entry fee in Canada.
What I was wondering about was just the Health Certificate from the local Vet to present when leaving. Looks like my vet is still cheaper than yours.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Probably is :) and I think the prices did go up so the 2,500K sounds pretty good. I was just happy I could bring my girl home with me.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Probably is :) and I think the prices did go up so the 2,500K sounds pretty good. I was just happy I could bring my girl home with me.

Yes we are always worried when we are traveling with our furry family! Money doesn't matter at that point.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I travel frequently with my small dog. I have paid anywhere between rd2000-2500pesos for the local vet to fill out the international form and put the official DR stamp on it. This is what you will pay for the priviledge. This fee doesn't bother me. What the airlines charge, $100-150usd, for basically a carry on is a big ripoff, but it really shouldn't surprise me. Your talking about airline companies who now want to charge you for every little extra. One thing that surprised me is that Jet Blue actually gives you a small amount of miles for a pet reservation. Now if I can only get extra snacks for the dog.

LTSteve

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i paid 1,000 pesos last year for the Certificate. 2,500 pesos i would find a bit high....
and the airlines what they charge since last year is really outrages!!!
actually i really don't know for what that Certificate is, because never ever one wanted to see it!!!
the only important pet document i had to show several times was the vaccination passport.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Does anyone know if you still have to take your pet to the airport 24 hrs prior to departure for quarantine in DR?? I thought I read something about this and this is the one thing thats keeping me from traveling with my dog.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
No, that is not so! There is no quarantine when you arrive or when you leave, if you have all your paperwork.
Traveling with your pet to the DR is easy as long as you don't mind paying your dues.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
i paid 1,000 pesos last year for the Certificate. 2,500 pesos i would find a bit high....
and the airlines what they charge since last year is really outrages!!!
actually i really don't know for what that Certificate is, because never ever one wanted to see it!!!
the only important pet document i had to show several times was the vaccination passport.

Yes, last year it was 1000 pesos for the certificate plus a fee for the vet to fill it out. From what I learned today, was that the new President has upped all the "taxes" at the airports and now I am wondering, if the fee for overstaying my welcome has gone up, too?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It's good to hear that I can travel with our cat. I don't know when but when we do go I wanted to bring the cat with us but that extra flight ticket and the fees got me thinking. Is there pet hotel in DR? if I was to be gone like 3 weeks I want to have my cat well taken care of. Plus bringing him to US will cause my mom to go berserk, she was never a pet person and she will never be one.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone know if you still have to take your pet to the airport 24 hrs prior to departure for quarantine in DR?? I thought I read something about this and this is the one thing thats keeping me from traveling with my dog.

If your dog travels in a kennel, there are restrictions as to when you can carry it..

Sort of from Nov to April..... heat restrictions.

Cabin pets = all year long.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Dogs or Cats must be 20#s or less and fit into a soft sided pet carry on in order to bring them into the cabin. There are vets in the DR that kennel pets. I would check with one and see if they can give you some info. Just to clarify the process of your vet filling out the international pet travel documents, they have to buy officially stamps that are place on your form. The cost of these stamps from the DR gov have gone up, consequently so has the what the vet charges for this service. Additionally when you get to the airport you have to go to an office that checks your paperwork and gives you a clearance form which you pay about rd300 pesos for. You must do this before you go to the checkin counter.

LTSTeve

Last edited: