Digital Cable Box intercept broadcast signal

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Im probably wrong but if i brought a digital cable box from home would i be able to get cable if the signal is already being sent from source?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If your box just happens to be set up to decrypt the cable TV system to which you attach it. Very, very unlikely.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Not going to work unless the cable system in your area does ClearQAM, or unencrypted broadcast.

Feb 7, 2007
No you will not be able to do it. If it is older digital box (MPEG 2) its authentication with the cable company will be based on Receiver ID. The Receiver ID must be enabled in CAS (Conditional Access System) at your local cable company, in order for that receiver to decrypt the signal (get the decryption codeword). Some newer MPEG-2 boxes, and all MPEG-4 H264 boxes (also called HDTV boxes) use smart cards, which again, must be enabled at cable company's CAS in order for the receiver/box to decrypt the signal.

So the simple answer is - NO. Digital cable in the DR is put in place to prevent people from getting free cable, not to allow it.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Its a Digital Cablebox Explorer 1840 Scientific Atlantic. My buddy works as tech here in Canada maybe he can find the CAS for the DR cable company.. The only reason I want to look into it, im only at my place in the DR 4 months out of the year and my development only has yearly cable contracts.. Thanks for the info!!!

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Are you seriously suggesting your friend help you do something illegal in DR in a public forum like this?

Interesting.....

By the way.... CAS works just like prepaid phone service in theory; no funds, no auth. You would need someone at Tricom to authenticate your box and channels. Good luck with that.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Are you seriously suggesting your friend help you do something illegal in DR in a public forum like this?

Interesting.....

By the way.... CAS works just like prepaid phone service in theory; no funds, no auth. You would need someone at Tricom to authenticate your box and channels. Good luck with that.

Not really, I dont want to do something illegal in the DR, but I cant find a service that allows cable one month at a time.. Ill get on that corrupting a tricom employee though if I can.. :D

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Funny guy :D

You can always get rabbit ears... but Teleantillas doesn't really have programming worth watching :D