Installing 220V?

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I have a clothes dryer coming tomorrow and will have this done by an electrician then. However I will need to make a cutout in the wall for the new plug. I don't know how to get that done. I have no idea how you communicate this to Edenorte or if anyone ever does.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
They might be able to pull the additional 110 line through the existing conduit, if not you will need to chip out the concrete to add it. Also, an additional 110 will need to be run from the street to the breaker box, again no big deal.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I have a clothes dryer coming tomorrow and will have this done by an electrician then. However I will need to make a cutout in the wall for the new plug. I don't know how to get that done. I have no idea how you communicate this to Edenorte or if anyone ever does.

Just had this done about a month ago for a dryer. Just connect two 110 lines from the main fuse box to a new breaker box outside and then run the lines down to the outlet. The new connector for the 220W plug you can use to replace the old 110W connector. You need to have a separate breaker box installed maybe a thousand or two thousand pesos for the materials to do this. A new cutout in the wall probably is not necessary for either the breaker box and the new 220W connector. By the way, I highly recommend that you do not do this on your own and use a skilled electrician as the shock voltage from 220W can kill.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Why are people installing dryers in a country with this natural drying capability? I don't think anything can stay wet for longer than 10 minutes when outside.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
#1 if you cannot measure the voltage coming into your breaker box, across the two hot leads, line 1 & line 2, where you should measure 220 - 240 VAC, then check you electric bill which tells you what voltage service you are supposed to have.

If you do have only 110 - 120 VAC service connection then you will need to request new service with the corporation.
If you have 220-240 VAC, then it is just a matter of connection by a qualified person.

You need to make sure your service connection and the new circuit are correct for the high amperage of an electric dryer, which can be minimum 30 amps upto 60 amps other wise you just asking for more trouble.
g'luck

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Why are people installing
........ It amazes PJT to what lengths people go to have creature comforts when keeping it simple may be a better and cheaper option. Especially, in this country having an insufficient electrical power distribution system where one is prey to prolonged outages, high rates, and poor customer service.

Hang the clothes to dry.

Life here is less stressful if you can get beyond the learned and accustomed material behaviors of the developed countries. A step backward is a step forward.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Electric Dryers= "LARGE DINERO"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you are stealing your "Power", OR, are VERY WEALTHY, or better still, BOTH!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why are people installing dryers in a country with this natural drying capability? I don't think anything can stay wet for longer than 10 minutes when outside.
It more than just drying. Clothes dryers get lint off clothing and can also make clothing "softer."

Dryers also can get embedded animal hair and other clingers off clothes.

We tried the line-dry for several months. Yes, it does dry clothes, but I found little pills on everything, and most clothes were somewhat stiff.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
trainman, why not go with a gas dryer on 110? MUCH less expensive to operate, by far.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It more than just drying. Clothes dryers get lint off clothing and can also make clothing "softer."

Dryers also can get embedded animal hair and other clingers off clothes.

We tried the line-dry for several months. Yes, it does dry clothes, but I found little pills on everything, and most clothes were somewhat stiff.

I brought down a pulley system clothes line that stretches from the terrazza to a big tree, and the clothes dry 1-2-3. HOWEVER, you're right about the lint, black pants are the worst. I kind of like the roughness of the line-dried towels though.

If I DID get a dryer, it would be gas.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
nothing like nice warm soft clothes fresh from the drier especially after using those softener sheets. And the speed is great. No waiting for the rains to stop, no clothes blown off the line by the wind and re-dirtied on the ground. I dont use the softener sheets on the towels as it seems to reduce their absorbency. Love US washing machines and drier. Clothes last forever. Dominican housekeeper using Dominican washer and hanging out laundry can destroy your favorite shirt in three months.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
nothing like nice warm soft clothes fresh from the drier especially after using those softener sheets. And the speed is great. No waiting for the rains to stop, no clothes blown off the line by the wind and re-dirtied on the ground. I dont use the softener sheets on the towels as it seems to reduce their absorbency. Love US washing machines and drier. Clothes last forever. Dominican housekeeper using Dominican washer and hanging out laundry can destroy your favorite shirt in three months.

I don't let the Dominican housekeeper anywhere near the clothes or the Whirlpool washing machine, I do it myself. It has a fabric softener dispenser too, bottle of Downy was only 64 pesos, so clothes soft and smell nice. There's a technique to using a pulley clothesline that she just couldn't get, so I hang the clothes myself too. My mom had used a clothesline in NY into the 1980s, even though there was a dryer since the 1960s. She only used it in the winter months.

Housekeeper brings them in from line, folds and puts away, irons what's necessary. So far so good.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I find fabric softener makes cloth less able to absorb water. We never use it on towels or shirts. Maybe on jeans to make them softer, as well as sheets.

But, in general, a clothes dryer makes clothes much softer, cleaner and last longer. PLUS it gets animal hairs off them...3 dogs and 2 cats here.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hang ure clothes on a clothe hanger and Then hang ure clothes on the line.... and dry underware and socks and such on barbed wire dominican way....my wife bought a washer dryer in america. we used it one month. got ednorte bill got up during night went out to outside kitchen/buandry, unscrewed positive cable in plug of machine. Watched my wife and her brothers screw around for the machine for a couple of days..heheheh

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Why to leave 220v back in the 1st world:
1) I came to the DR to find freedom and my potential...ground potential
2) that green wire is ugly...where does it go? Dunno snip it.
3) its just hanging out of the wall, but my blackberry doesn't care.
4) my new wife keeps me grounded...
5) why is there a capacitor the size of a football under the sink wired inline to the fridge?
6) mi dulce, see that wire there, can you plug it in with out leaving the shower...the water is un poco frio por mi.
7)
8)
9)

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
There is no gas line over to the space for the machine. It rains often in the afternoon near the mountains in the north of Santiago.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You can make that gas line go anywhere for a lot less than your 220 dryer electric bill. Even if you got it hooked up properly, no inverter will support it, and you need both phases of the street electric to be working. (sometimes one works and the other does not, I have seen it)

Unless you are stealing power definately choose gas. I know people that do steal power and they still choose gas.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is no gas line over to the space for the machine. It rains often in the afternoon near the mountains in the north of Santiago.
Drill a small hole and run the hose through it. The tank stays outside.