leaving DR and applying next time i come back

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Hi
I'm going back to my country (italy) in may, and when i come back to DR (in october) i want to apply for residency. It will be the first time i apply and I've read that i need a special visa to enter in DR.
So, before leaving, there's something i need to do to get this visa? Someone told me i need to open a bank account and get a letter from the bank? Others told me i need to own something here, like an house ?!?!
I'm a tourist and i don't still have a bank account in DR. Please can anyone clarify this point?
Also, please can anyone suggest a good attorney in the Sosua area specialized in residency? Thanks

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
You need to start the process in your home country, at the closest Dominican Republic Consulate. You need nothing from the DR at this time. Because you will get a temporary visa once you fulfill the requirements, you don't need to have a bank account here or own property before you leave. Those requirements are more for permanent residency.

I started the process in the US, without an attorney, followed instructions and called and asked a lot of questions, brought my paperwork in, they scan it and send it to the capitol; the capitol sends back a temporary visa that goes into your passport.

You then have 60 days to begin the process here in the DR. If you want more specific info, PM me and I'm happy to share.

Good luck.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The visa that Drro is talking about is called a residency visa and you will need quite a lot of documents before the embassy or consulate in Italy will stamp your passport with this residency visa , Then I personally think it is best to engage a good lawyer who is experienced with dealing with the immigration office because to get your residency card and your cedula , you have to have many more documents ..and the experienced lawyers can fast track these for you .But it all takes time and you need to have much patience but within 6 months you should have your first residency card ,,,But if you are not here for more than 6 months a year , I cannot see much point in having it ,

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Click onto the advertising billboard at the top of the DR1 site and that company will give you the requirements that you need to bring back from your home country. You will need, your birth certificate, and a police background report with finger printing done in Itlay, these need to be translated into Spanish and notorized and Apostilized . This an official stamp that is recognized internationally signifying that your documents have been approved as real and official. You will also need to have a copy of all the pages of your passport. You will eventually have to go to Santo Domingo with an attorney to file your documents and get a medical test, which consists of a chest x-ray and blood and urine samples. This is done by DR Gov people in the same complex where you file your documents. It is an involved process and once you have everthing in order and it is submitted to the DR Gov. it can take from 8-12 months to be approved. Good Luck.

LTSteve