Whole House Voltage Regulator

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You may remember that last year I was complaining about the low voltage at our house - rarely was it 110. Mr. AE's brother gave us a small voltage regulator [size of a shoe box, weighs a ton] that we had to use in order for the whirlpool washer or the microwave to run. It was a pain in the butt, but we dragged the box back and forth.

This year we had more trouble, electrician who worked on house last year came by and we were getting only 80 volts. Sometimes 90. He recommended a whole house voltage regulator. Said not only would we have better power, but the erratic voltage kills appliances.

He makes the regulators himself. He installed 4 KW one, and wow, what a difference. The well pump [220] is working better and stronger flow, I can plug the washer into a regular outlet, and microwave getting a lot more use now that I don't have to drag the lead weight portable one over to it.

Sometimes it's the small things in life......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would also go to PROTECOM and register a complaint with them about your substandard voltage from the power company. They may be able to help you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
80-90 volts will also kill every electrical thingy you have attached to it.

You need to report the voltage.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, CB, windeguy, with the regulator it's fine now. We're in the middle of nowhere in the campo, and lucky to get electricity at all here. I think they'd laugh at us if we tried to report low voltage.

It burned out almost every single light bulb in the house. Killed my tower fan. Had to replace ceiling fan in LR. Got a KDK, and so glad we did, not as pretty as the last one, but it really moves the air. Thank God the big fridge is okay.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Ae, ure right. Im from campo too and had problem with low voltage. Ednorte kept saying no es culpa nosotros.... as if it was ma fault. anyway did the same as u got a 8kw stabilisateur and no its perfect, ( the frige hardly ever worked before!!) . what u can check 2 is the power ligns leading to urecompteru. I had a problem after I had the stabilisateur and it was one of the 2 positives that was all corroded and giving a bad contacr. Rubbed it with that thing u use too clean silver( cos the ednorte guys are scaredtoo tuch the lines even if there is only electricity 6 hours a day......) and everything is back in order......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Understood. However, what ain't right just ain't right. You could even file claims against Edenorte for damage caused by the low voltage and win. Our former frequent poster PICHARDO won a claim like that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wait until you have a power surge. The first time normal power comes in the line, you'll have all kinds of fun. I lived that for a few years in Maimon.

If there is a Primary voltage line anywhere near your property, you should consider throwing up a pole or two, and install your own transformer.

I was dumbstruck by the difference when I did mine. If there was electricity, it was 110V. Perfect. No surges or spikes.

I would hazard to say it was probably the best investment in all of my years in this country.

OK, you're a little over my head with the primary voltage line, we're going to SD tomorrow, passing by your place, will give you a call and bring the french press pot and pick your brain for a minute or two if that's ok. Mr. AE speaks your (electric) language. I speak only wall switches.