Gift giving rules in the DR

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
After several frustrating experiences dealing with banks in the DR, I received excellent service from a bank representative in my last visit to Santo Domingo. She opened an account for me and waived a lot of the burdensome requirements (reference letters, salary statements, etc.). She has also been very good at responding to any emails I have sent her in a timely manner. I am very grateful for this and I would like to ensure that this continues.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to bring her a gift from Europe on my next visit. Obviously I would not want her to get the impression I would be expecting her do something illegal nor would I want her to get into trouble with her bank by accepting a gift. I believe she is married as well, so I wouldn't want to give any other impression either.

Any ideas?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't give her anything. i would think this could be misunderstood. but do send her something for christmas. a bottle of johnny walker is always well received or maybe a small basket with alcohol, nuts, fruits or whatnot, that is a popular xmas gift here. this will not be out of line.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I am a big proponent of validating good service. Write or speak to the bank manager and single her out with a commendation for the good service you received.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've done it before. Just be aware they are not allowed to receive any kind of gift from customers. If you're going to do it, please use discretion.

Mar 1, 2009
Don't give her anything, write a letter of praise to the boss. Be brief and don't give too many details. IF ya are gonna give something give it during a holiday, listen to DV8 she knows her stuff.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i third a letter of praise. when i get upset with service here i tell off the person who served me. when i am extra happy i make sure i talk to the boss.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Absolutely. A letter of praise to the boss. I had the same experience with my bank and did the same thing for the account manager that took care of me. She told me her boss acknowledged her for it and thanked me the next time she saw me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may get a chance to thank her before too long.

After I opened my account recently, they called me for a customer satisfaction report.
I thanked them told them about the great service and mentioned the girl's name.

Next time I went into the bank - the manager took me to the back room and thanked me.
She said my girl got a call from head office congratulating her..... she was thrilled and has a new star on her record.

Best present anybody could give.....

She'll be giving me the basket at Christmas....JK, JK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Progreso, Cabrera

Yamilka did my work.... actually challenging work since she speaks NO English and I thumb through the dictionary a bit.

Amazingly, my customer survey responses seemed to be understood.......

Oops, gotta go, thats her calling now..... probably wants to buy me dinner while my wife's away...