So this is how they steal your card details and pin number!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
483889_10201661135589281_563298574_n.jpg

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's happened to me and several other people I know.

Banco Progresso in Sosua was one such machine and so was the BHD machine at Coastal petrol station.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just "SOME" of the ways!
In the DR, workers who process the transactions just sell, or share in the proceeds, of the gang stealing you data.
"Low Tech"= "High Margin"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
You just have to notice your transactions and check your account every week. That way y'll get your money back. No big deal.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
You just have to notice your transactions and check your account every week. That way y'll get your money back. No big deal.

Sometimes things are not so simple. A few years back, I noticed on bank statement with Scotiabank in Nassau, Paradise Island branch, there were cash card deductions on a Friday in Santo Domingo, Jamaica and Argentina all on the same day. As it was a Friday, I knew I was in Nassau as I was being paid weekly (very weakly) on the Atlantis Development and had lodged my pay check on the day in question.

The bank said they would investigate on my behalf and get back to me with details and refund within 4 weeks. I heard nothing from them so raised the matter again and was asked to attend the branch for a meeting with someone in Scotia fraud dept, Bahamas.

I thought I had prepared well, but was astounded when they said that having checked, the withdrawals were all made in a 5 hr period on the day, so Santo Domingo, Kingston and in a branch in northern Argentina. The manager of the branch almost fell of the chair when I pulled out some flight variations, from the Bahamas to Jamaica, the Bahamas to Argentina, Santo Doming to Jamaica and Santo Domingo to Argentina, all priced up, with flight routes and timings etc. There was also a map of the Americas conveniently hung on his office wall.

The discussion soon wrapped up when it was proven the shortest travel time to the furthest location was 14 hrs using conventional carriers. The eye language between the two Bahamians was classic ! Oh and I did get refunded !

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
It's happened to me and several other people I know.

Banco Progresso in Sosua was one such machine and so was the BHD machine at Coastal petrol station.

My German friend who had two false transactions at Banco Progresso Sosua just recently had his money refunded, but it took a few months.
Refunds from Postbank and Comerzbank.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Is there any way to look at the machen and check if it has the stuff to steel your info on it. Like if I try to pry off the pin pad or something befor i stick my card in. May be just a thought .

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
We just had $1000 withdrawn from our Schwab account yesterday morning from an ATM in Acropolis Mall in Santo Domingo. We are in Bavaro. The day before my partner used the ATM card at the Banco Popular ATM in front of Carabela. The ATM acted funny and the transaction didn't complete properly. Machine acted as though it was processing but then never dispensed money. There was no activity for that transaction on the bank account. Could just be a coincidence but it's awfully suspicious.

Luckily Schwab is very good about these kind of things and we should have the money back in our account next week.

Visa fraud protection services called us about 6 times yesterday. Very impressed with how both Visa and Schwab handled things.

Another reason why I never used my Banco Popular account... I don't trust the banks here at all. If this same thing happened on a BP account, I'm fairly certain it would be like pulling teeth to get the money back. With a US bank all it takes is a couple of phone calls.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This continues because the police do not go after these criminals. The banks have video evidence of the crooks. Bank manager in Sosua told me he gave up reporting to the police as nothing was ever done. US banks are faster at replacing the money. My money was stolen by a company in New Deli, India of all places.