Permanent Residency Renewal

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
My permanent residency needed renewal since the 13th of December. About a month ago I pulled myself together and went down to immigration here in Santo Domingo and waited in line to get the new renewal requirements. I started getting my documents together. Letter from the bank proving solvency and my criminal record from the police (Acta de buena conducta). The criminal record is only valid for a month so actually it is best to do this last. Then I went for the medical; blood test, urine test and x-ray. This took about a day at immigration. Then I went and got the result a week later. Then today I went and submitted all documents. The application form that you get at immigration where you ad your fingerprints, two passport photos, the criminal record, bank letter from a Dominican bank. Copy of my cedula, passport and old residency card. First I waited in line. They looked at the docs and sent me over to copy it all 4 times with a stamp on it. Then I waited for about an hour. Then they called out my name. I then went over and paid RD 8,000 for the renewal, about RD 2,000 for the months I had overstayed. Another RD 1,000 fee. The Medical exam was about RD 5,000. So all in all around USD 400. I then waited for about an hour again before I was called in for a photo for the card. And then another 10 minutes before I got my new card and could leave. It was not as much hassle as I had expected but time consuming. However. 4 more years in paradise.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for posting your experience, John. I have a couple of queries for you please.

Firstly, what criteria was used to determine solvency in the bank letter? Did this supercede any sworn affidavit needing to be stamped and notarised regarding property title/ ownership?

Secondly, was there no requirement for you to have a Dominican guarantor?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
No guarantor for the renewal

Thanks for posting your experience, John. I have a couple of queries for you please.

Firstly, what criteria was used to determine solvency in the bank letter? Did this supercede any sworn affidavit needing to be stamped and notarised regarding property title/ ownership?

Secondly, was there no requirement for you to have a Dominican guarantor?

Having a guarantor is not a requirement for the renewal. Maybe it can be used as substitute for the bank letter but I am not sure. A title can probably be used. I don't know the criteria for the bank letter. But they accepted it.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It would be interesting to know what the minimum amount that the bank letter should show as being the average account balance. My advice after just having done this would be to find out about this first. Maybe even bring it to immigration to make sure it will be accepted. Also if it is a title you will be using or a guarantor. Then as the last thing you get the acta de buena conducta as it is only valid for a month.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
A trip to the capital for me from where I live is an arduous task but assume, as the first visit really only involves getting the new medical exams done, I may (with the aid of someone who speaks far better Spanish than me) be able to ascertain exactly what is needed for when I go back and file all the paperwork with them and hopefully leave with my new residency card and renewed cedula too.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
You could do the medical first and then bring the document you are going to use to prove economic solvency and ask if it will be sufficient. If they say yes you then go back for the medical result and at the same time you submit all documents. Then you just have to go there twice. What about in Santiago. Cant you do it there too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another thread mentioned that you can do all the required paperwork and exams in Santo Domingo, but have them send the paperwork to Santiago which would mean only one trip to Santo Domingo and then one to Santiago.

I don't see how that is possible because of the way John Boyter described his experience. It sounds like two trips are still needed to Santo Domingo because they don't take your picture until the second trip.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It is funny the photo you need taken. I am wondering what the two photos you give them are for. It is good to have a lot of copies of cedula, old residency card and your passport with you. And for the renewal of permanent residency you don't have to at any point of time to show your original passport. So don't have to bring that. When you do the medical exam it is best to also get the application form which is a 100 RD and then go over to the both where you ad the fingerprints on the form.