US man pleads guilty to child sex tourism charges

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I sure hope the DR and other countries work harder together to stop the illicit and illegal abuse of children in this country. US man pleads guilty to child sex tourism charges - DominicanToday.com. Many people do not realize that, at least under US law, you can be prosecuted for traveling to a foreign country to have sex with underage children!

I, for one, am glad this scumbag was caught!

it is a well known fact that even if you get away with it in the DR, they can bag you when you get back home to the USA . i think it is the same for Canada.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
it is a well known fact that even if you get away with it in the DR, they can bag you when you get back home to the USA . i think it is the same for Canada.

Deal with them here. Non sterile kitchen knife and some Bay Rum on the wound. :chinese:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If he is put in prison in the DR or the US he will get his just reward. Not even inmates like guys that mess around with children. I hope he gets what he gave, over and over and over again.

LTSteve

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
He got what he deserved and as was said prision is very unsafe for a cjild molester,but I wonder how the US caught him.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Would be interesting to know how they caught him? Does the US or Canada have an investigating unit in The DR? If so could these crimes be reported there...

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Actually, it's relatively easy to catch guys like this ... even without having a DR investigative presence, In that short article, I saw a few different ways it could have happened.

But, I will not say ... because i want to see MORE of them get caught!

Jan 9, 2004

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Thankfully the US has extradition treaty with DR if I recall correctly. If the policia nacional doesn't put a hurtin' on him, the US marshall will.

Off with his head... Both of them!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Perhaps ElAlien should take note that this all occurred nowhere near Sosua!! Although, I think a little detail like this will be overlooked by him.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Did she bring her kids with her to his apt.????????????????????????
For Christ's Sake William, of course he wasn't a priest!
My God man, first she was 14, second she is a woman!
NEVER, Never, take pictures!
Lets be fair here, if all the Dominican men who had sex with 14 year old girls went to prison, this would be a depopulated, AND, better place to live!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Did she bring her kids with her to his apt.????????????????????????
For Christ's Sake William, of course he wasn't a priest!
My God man, first she was 14, second she is a woman!
NEVER, Never, take pictures!
Lets be fair here, if all the Dominican men who had sex with 14 year old girls went to prison, this would be a depopulated, AND, better place to live!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

who would be left to do anything?

May 29, 2006
The child sex laws vary in state to state in the US. In some states, the law for a 17yo having sex with a 14yo is a very different crime than 25yo having sex with a 14yo. You can, after all, still get married at age 13 in some US states with the consent of the parents. It's bonkers, but that's the way it is.

There are still many celebrities out there who think Roman Polanski should be allowed back into the US after his encounter with a 13yo who he drugged and gave booze to before having anal sex with her, because it was "consensual."

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
The child sex laws vary in state to state in the US. In some states, the law for a 17yo having sex with a 14yo is a very different crime than 25yo having sex with a 14yo. You can, after all, still get married at age 13 in some US states with the consent of the parents. It's bonkers, but that's the way it is.

There are still many celebrities out there who think Roman Polanski should be allowed back into the US after his encounter with a 13yo who he drugged and gave booze to before having anal sex with her, because it was "consensual."

States vary ... but for a US citizen ... it is "generally" 18yo when outside of the country ... regardless of local law. (US Federal Law.)

The guy is going to do jail time .... because he was stupid.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There is a squat up the road from where I live, here live a woman, her husband, two sons and a pregnant 13 or 14 year old daughter, pregnant by her father. This family seem to go about business as if this is nothing to worry about, just the norm, infact they don't seem to hide the fact which is weird. Maybe because they are Haitian the police don't bother to do anything, as after all, filthy dirty Haitians don't recognize child abuse, and don't matter.

The issues with sex tourism is minuscule in comparrison to the native ignorance towards child abuse. Not that it should be ignored, but arresting a few sex tourists is not even worth the paper used to print the story IMO. To really make a difference you need to make ignorance aware, if we had natives on side a little more who could understand and realize when something is wrong, something very wrong, then this kind of tourism would reduce hugely, and the native kids in the campo would be left to reach adulthood before becoming mothers, at least to their brothers and fathers.

While people are still unaware how wrong this is, it is impossible to reduce.
it does come down to the usual, ignorance.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
How do you know the dad impregnated the teen? I would think the wife would feel livid about it. They're not in Haiti anymore.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010

Including his "victim" who believes what he did was probably wrong, but he shouldn't be punished further.

Not that it should be ignored, but arresting a few sex tourists is not even worth the paper used to print the story IMO. While people are still unaware how wrong this is, it is impossible to reduce.

I disagree, I think it should be printed, and posters plastered at the airport and all around tourist towns. The reason foreign pedophiles go elsewhere is because laws and awareness is so much greater in their own country, they know they'll get caught. They go to countries like the DR, not because of local ignorance, but because economic necessity means there will be more supply available, coupled with their impression that the law can't/won't do anything to find them. A couple of well publicized stories in papers in their home country will encourage them to stay away.

I do agree that more should be done to educate many about this, however, until the economics and education certainty of the majority of the general population improves, it'll be just empty words. Very few with options would choose to have money for sex at age 14.