Ideal neighborhoods in SD for Mom who wants to take stroller walks with her baby.

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
Hi,
My family, (me, my husband, and 6 month old baby) would like to relocate to Santo Domingo (we currently live in a small town between SD and Santiago).

We are looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment to start, with rent in the 12,000-15,000 pesos a month range.

We want to live in a neighborhood that is "walking friendly", where I could easily get out and about with our stroller, with somewhat pot-hole free sidewalks to walk on.

Childrens's parks and little restaurants would also be appreciated, and maybe even a larger grocery store in walking distance if possible ; )

Please let me know neighborhoods that may fit this description. We plan on visiting some areas that are mentioned.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The only neighborhood I know in SD that is 'kind of' pedestrian friendly is Los Cacicazgos.

YasminH

Aug 29, 2008
I know that Los Cacicazgos is an expensive area, not sure we can afford that, please keep the ideas coming...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I would agree with Chirimoya, Ciudad Nueva would be a decent place for the money, and you are at basicallly downtown area, very pedestrian friendly, close to el Mercado, stores, buses, its pretty much the hub of the city. Anything you need is nearby if you dont have a car. Gazcue for that price range is very doubtful.... maybe you can get lucky and find something in Don Bosco area...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would go to the Zona Colonial and El Conde. Conde is a pedestrian avenue and you can walk a long distance without worrying about any traffic. There are also many plazas in the Colonial Zone that you could walk with a stroller.

LTSteve

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I lived in Los Cacicazgos in a 240m2 apartment for 30k. (3 bedrooms). Im sure you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for around 20k, and maybe a 1 bedroom apartment for even less. There are new towers that are expensive but the older buildings are much more reasonably priced.

About Ciudad Nueva (im actually not very sure what is the difference with Gazcue), every 30 meters you will smell a dead animal, that's what makes walking around there a not so nice experience.

Another option would be Los Restauradores / Las Praderas. That's where I live now. The pavements are not as good as in Los Cacicazgos, but you have Parque Las Praderas near by where you can perfectly spend many afternoons walking with a stroller.