Hotel Bracelet Counterfeiters Arrested

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Officers of the National Police in the company of the prosecutor raided a house in Puerto Plata where they arrested red-handed a gang of counterfeiters. The gang was involved in falsifying bracelets which you can use in All Inclusive hotels to make use of all facilities for free. They sold the bracelets for 85 to 120 dollars to people interested. The gang was led by an American who currently resides in the USA.

Several hotels in Playa Dorada have been affected by these bracelets.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
And why would anybody pay $120 for a bracelet without a room? I know you can use it for several days and all, but most rooms in Playa Dorada cost waaaaay below that (and they come with a bracelet, too)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Natives? To go and drink and eat there the whole weekend? (a whole Semana Santa i.e.?) Sankies?

And why would anybody pay $120 for a bracelet without a room? I know you can use it for several days and all, but most rooms in Playa Dorada cost waaaaay below that (and they come with a bracelet, too)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
You might be surprised at how quickly a group or even a couple of sankies would be outed at any AI establishment...For that matter, it wouldn't even have to be "sankies"..
Employees at the AI's can be very protective of their bars and restaurants and that, coupled with an inate jealousy of their fellow DRican, would out these characters in a little over a nano-second.
It is easy to feel a false sense of anonymity in the hotels but nothing could be further from the truth.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Most AI bracelets have numbers on them corresponding to the room you have. A quick check of this would expose the fraud.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i call it "white power" :tired:
if you look the part no one pays attention. white skin is of some importance but so is attire: shorts, flip flops, bikini, bajamamas and so on. i pulled it in RIU once. i came to pick up friends, they were just to have lunch. i had wet hair, summer dress and some silly magazine like cosmo in my hand. i entered the hotel, the restaurant and pool area. no one asked me anything. i spoke polish and i looked like a turista. there were no bracelets, guests did not have them either.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think those buyers might using it for more than a single day...

I wonder if there are hotel employees involved. Legit bracelets are probably closely audited, so they can't be given away easily. But if you can give fake ones at the front desk...and count in a couple of maids...endless business possibilities.
I really don't think they were used as day passes, doesn't sound profitable enough for the buyer.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I wonder if there are hotel employees involved. Legit bracelets are probably closely audited, so they can't be given away easily. But if you can give fake ones at the front desk...and count in a couple of maids...endless business possibilities.
I really don't think they were used as day passes, doesn't sound profitable enough for the buyer.

Many years ago there was a group of Eastern Europeans ( no offence ) that was taken down as they made their way from hotel to hotel in the area Bavaro/Punta Cana. These n'er-do-wells would operate under cover of "guest status" as they ripped off room after room after room before moving on to the next hotel. Yes....They actually checked in.
Perhaps there is/was something similar going on with a group who chose to eliminate one expense, ie hotel accomodation.
The bracelets would have allowed them to easily gain access to the property.

From today's Sosua News:

Officers of the National Police in the company of the prosecutor raided a house in Puerto Plata where they arrested red-handed a gang of counterfeiters. The gang was involved in falsifying bracelets which you can use in All Inclusive hotels to make use of all facilities for free. They sold the bracelets for 85 to 120 dollars to people interested. The gang was led by an American who currently resides in the USA.

Several hotels in Playa Dorada have been affected by these bracelets.

Damm now what am I to do???