Gun Permit Renewal

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
The hand gun permit renewal dept. says it will not not renew my permit, I asked why not and all I was told was there was a law passed last year whereby my renewal was not permitted by law. I asked what the law was that had been past last year and they said I would have to ask the constitutional court to order them to answer in writing why they were not able to renew my permit. Do I need a lawyer, ask the court myself, or what. Has anyone else had this problem?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If as you said it is a question of law then I would say you need a lawyer to get an answer to why. Are you a permanent resident or citizen of the DR? That could make a difference.

LTSteve

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
What is, "The hand gun permit renewal dept.", the process is 1st. go to Banco Reservas and pay the fees, go to the lab and pee in a cup, wait, wait, wait, call the bank to see if it came in yet, they say no not yet, then wait, wait and wait some more, call the bank and they tell you well yea, its been here for like 3 weeks now!!!!

MIP webpage reveals no changes......

Ministerio de Interior y Polic?a

maybe your leaving something out!

g'luck!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
hmmmmm, sounds fishy, like a bribe request. Did you offer to pay to "expedite the process". Lots cheaper than hiring a g.d. m.f....ing lawyer.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The hand gun permit renewal dept. says it will not not renew my permit, I asked why not and all I was told was there was a law passed last year whereby my renewal was not permitted by law. I asked what the law was that had been past last year and they said I would have to ask the constitutional court to order them to answer in writing why they were not able to renew my permit. Do I need a lawyer, ask the court myself, or what. Has anyone else had this problem?

Go to the following link, input your info and check under the heading, "Verificaci?n de Fichas", to see if anything is pending.
Consulta de Armas - Ministerio de Interior y Polica

MIP can and does on a regular basis deny firearm license renewal on anything they consider doesn't cut the mustard. If you've been discharging you firearm in public and someone reports you, your firearm might be confiscated, your renewal privileges might be suspended or both. If you've threaten someone with your firearm, you could be arrested and your license suspended if you were reported to the authorities. If MIP after issuing your license discovers or suspect that you've deceived them in any way they will not allow you to renew your license. In any case it doesn't look good. If something like this ever happens to me I would lawyer up ASAP. On final observation, why not just call MIP and ask what the problem is? Is there something more going on than what you have told us? Something here is not quite right. Are you having issues with someone that knows you own a firearm and they've made things difficult for you at MIP?

NotLurking

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I once had a problem with renewal. I was listed as being "in jail" in their computer system. Since I have never been in jail anywhere for any reason, I found it both amusing but of course annoying. In order to clear up the data entry mistake I had to go to Santo Domingo and prove that I was not in jail. Only in the DR.

Do check the link to see if you might also be "in jail" or have some other renewal blocking incorrect information.