Opening a savings account in DR

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
I doubt it. You will need to go in person and show several pieces of ID.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is it possible to open a savings account in DR over the phone?

How do you plan on giving them your signature??
Or your initial deposit?
Or your ID ?

Out of curiosity,..... have you ever been able to open a bank account anywhere in the world over the phone??

Stupid question.... sorry

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I can!
I DID!
Cambridge Savings Bank, East Boston Saving Bank, to name just two.
Go to their website, fill in the "Blanks", transfer some money, DONE!
In the DR, NEVER HAPPEN!!!!
I missed the "PHONE" part.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
I had to show passport and a letter from my bank in the the States..It was awhile ago maybe different now bank is popular

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I wanted to open an account with Scotiabank. They have branches in New York where I live. But New York is NY, and DR is DR.

It would be convenient to transfer money there electronically from the US for when I travel to DR so I don't have to carry all that cash on me.

And yes.. You're correct.. Any bank here requires a branch visit to open an account.. But they're more worried about terrorism and money laundering than fraud. The FDIC is fairly decent at crediting lost funds due to fraud. I figured this would be more laxed in DR.

Feb 7, 2007
How do you plan on giving them your signature??
Or your initial deposit?
Or your ID ?

Out of curiosity,..... have you ever been able to open a bank account anywhere in the world over the phone??

Stupid question.... sorry

Not over the phone, but online, where they ask you a series of questions, I was able to open accounts with multiple US banks, from within the DR, using my Miami forwarding address.

I was also able to open business account with Suntrust over the phone... it was not open immediately, though, it went to verification department which approved it (opened but put on hold) and next day mailed the signature card with the account number, etc. I had to mail that back and once received it was removed from hold and fully operational in 48 hours. The next day I called in and got online banking activated, over the phone.

Personal accounts - if you have US SSN you can open account online with any major US bank. My sister (we are both non US citizens) was able to open account online just after 1 year from getting her SSN when she worked in the USA during the summer.