Ticks

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I give my dogs Frontline, a flea and tick preventative. In the US they never get ticks, but in the DR we are removing ticks daily. Has anyone else have this problem? If so please explain why this is happening here and how to resolve.
Thanks

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Frontline works for us and no contact to street dogs. My vet said they are in the environment and besides mentioned there is little one can do...
Atm our one is tick free since 2 month.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I, I mean my "PACK" had an infestation a year ago. :(:(:(
They only have to pick up a "Pregnant" tick and bring it home.
She drinks her fill, falls to the ground, lays her eggs, and "Whoomp, There It Is!"
Hundreds of eggs hatch,they begin to climb anything, the dogs pick them up, and then things really get interesting.
I used a "Combined Attack".
"Frontline, anti flea & tick shampoo, and powder.sprays.
We also sanitized the area every day,where they spend about 22 hours a day/night,,outside the front door, a tiled,covered floor,with soap & water, Clorox solution, and I sprayed all the "Nooks & Crannies" with bug spray when the dogs weren't there.
THAT WORKED!!!
Now I give them a monthly "Pill" that seems to be working.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Good luck!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Along with the treatment of the dogs .....

If you have any exposed fabric (clothing, bedding, etc.) you could look into getting some of this stuff. (But DO NOT use it if you have cats or "pet fish".) It will take care of more than just ticks. Can also be used on "luggage" so that you don't take any "stowaways" with you when you travel.

Amazon.com: Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray: Sports & Outdoors
(Additional info)
Permethrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An internet search will give more info on where to get it, and how others have used it ...

Good luck.

L.Lumus

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure if you r in the country or city but in the Southern States of the U.S. a lot of old
Timers purchase guinea foul to knock down the ticks ants and just about any other
Pestie insect .....and they sure do a number on them ....wouldn't work in a city setting
A flock of guinea's going down main street might cause problems....lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a big rottie, and had a terrible problem. Vet brought over some strong flea/tick shampoo, and some other stuff in a gallon bottle [milky looking] that gets sprayed on him and left on. On top of that we brought down Frontline Plus.

Two weeks after the Frontline Plus, one day we notice a wall in our living room [where the dog had been lying on the floor near me while I read] had tiny ticks on it. Mr. AE removed them. As he walked away, I called him back and pointed to the crown molding at the ceiling - there were about 25 more up there! I talked to both Matilda and Whirleybird about it, since they each know a lot more about pets in DR than I do.

Another wash, another spray, another dose of Frontline. Added a spray of Skin So Soft [which I use on myself daily, keeps the mosquitos at bay]. So far so good. We do live on a finca, and he runs all over through grass, weeds, trees, etc. He also loves to lie down on his back and throw his feet in the air and squirm all over. So, is it any wonder?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I give Ivermectin, supposed to work... But my dog still get ticks, even with frontline as well.
I just check the dog every 2 or 3 days and take those craps away
:)

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009
We have a big rottie, and had a terrible problem. Vet brought over some strong flea/tick shampoo, and some other stuff in a gallon bottle [milky looking] that gets sprayed on him and left on. On top of that we brought down Frontline Plus.

Two weeks after the Frontline Plus, one day we notice a wall in our living room [where the dog had been lying on the floor near me while I read] had tiny ticks on it. Mr. AE removed them. As he walked away, I called him back and pointed to the crown molding at the ceiling - there were about 25 more up there! I talked to both Matilda and Whirleybird about it, since they each know a lot more about pets in DR than I do.

Another wash, another spray, another dose of Frontline. Added a spray of Skin So Soft [which I use on myself daily, keeps the mosquitos at bay]. So far so good. We do live on a finca, and he runs all over through grass, weeds, trees, etc. He also loves to lie down on his back and throw his feet in the air and squirm all over. So, is it any wonder?

My dog does the same thing too, it looks likes he's swimming or doing some kind of back strokes lol So yes of course I'm peeling off sticks daily as well but not as much since I'm more cautious with how deep I let them go in the grass/weeds & absolutely no contact with other dogs. My dog ended up with a few hot spots, not sure if it was from a tick or parasite so I'm using a shampoo & spray with Chlorhexidine plus a cream with hydrocortisone. BTW quick question, does using FRONTLINE have any side effects? I'm seriously considering that as well for worms ect

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hi, how can u tell if ure dogs have ticks?? I stroke my dogs regurlaly, like 22 times a day, I always pick off loads of cadillo(??? ie sticky herbs and grass). I also bathe them once a week, except one who hates water and gets grumpy, so he gets it once a month. Do u see them? does the dog act strangely? thanks

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I'm going through the same thing right now. Have had my rottie for 11 years now and NEVER had this problem before. In the past 3 weeks it's gotten bad. At the beginning I just sprayed her down with Frontline which in the past has solved the problem within days. Didn't see a difference this time. Last week she got a good 3 shampoo bath with flea and tick shampoo. Killed about 30 ticks and pulled out another 12 while I was blow-drying her. Next day Frontline drops on the neck plus an additional tick collar which is supposedly good for up to 10 months. Sprayed down the bedding and floor where she spends the day liberally with Frontline. They're still going :S My 2 chi's on the other hand have only had one or two occasionally over the past weeks. One quick Frontline spray was enough to solve their problem. Go figure! Now it's no park time for the rottie (loves to roll around in the grass) until we get it under control and daily tick picking (especially between her toes). Fun times!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hi, how can u tell if ure dogs have ticks?? I stroke my dogs regurlaly, like 22 times a day, I always pick off loads of cadillo(??? ie sticky herbs and grass). I also bathe them once a week, except one who hates water and gets grumpy, so he gets it once a month. Do u see them? does the dog act strangely? thanks

Oh, you can see them alright! At the beginning they're small, slightly bigger than a pin head. Then as they start to suck your dog's blood, they baloon and stick out. You'll often see them in the ears, around the neck and between their toes. Google them, you won't forget what the little buggers look like!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"AE", I too like to,"Lay on my back, throw my feet in the air, and squirm all over"!
No ticks on me, "So Far"!
Just, "Rug Burn"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I like really short haired dogs.
Easier to keep "Clean"
I ordered some of the spray "Major" recomened from Amazon.com.
I'll let you know how it works.
About 100 users gave it 5 stars.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
ok tks alot kate now I know my dogs dont have any of thoes nasty b********. by the way when the vet comes rkund once or twice year he sprays them with a smelly solution.....

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
if you have white walls they will go to any indentations, some are hardly visible if you have bad eyesight, they also hang around for ages after a dog has gone - awaiting another passing one

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Ivermectin. But make sure the dosage is correct. It needs to be strong enough to kill the ticks yet not so strong you kill your dog. Call your vet because they all swear by that stuff. I have 5 dogs at the ranch, loads of ticks in the fields (cows), but with Ivermectin we have hardly any ticks. For the chihuahua's we have I use Frontline because they are so small.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I think its time of the year for lots of ticks just injected my dogs today and kill whatever I find it is a pain but they go away after a while .

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
DE powder is the way to go, they eat the powder they dehydrate and die, so you don't have any jumping off and hiding, you should see these little buggers explode with this magical powder, please google, you will be amazed also by its healing remedies. Completely 100% safe for animals and humans, been using it for years as an internal cleanser.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Sounds good! But for ticks? I doubt that since they only suck blood, correct me if I am wrong.

DE powder is the way to go, they eat the powder they dehydrate and die, so you don't have any jumping off and hiding, you should see these little buggers explode with this magical powder, please google, you will be amazed also by its healing remedies. Completely 100% safe for animals and humans, been using it for years as an internal cleanser.

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
Sounds good! But for ticks? I doubt that since they only suck blood, correct me if I am wrong.

They don't actually eat the powder. It scratches them open, they dehydrate and die, works for pretty much all crawlies. Make sure it's food grade, the one they sell for pool filters is mixed with some toxic chemicals.

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Correct, somebody has done their homework and thanks for pointing out it has to be food grade