furniture shopping

devdev

May 14, 2011
does anyone who lives here in santo dominigo know of any good furniture stores other then ikea??? thanks in advance

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I don't live there but I have a sister-in-law who does. We often buy our furniture down there. We buy at Ikea a lot because of the guarantee on some stuff but when we don't see what we want there or just want something cheaper we have gone to Electromuebles Mella. I haven't been disappointed yet. They are in Zona Oriental - Carretera Mella Km 7 1/2.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Conforama", on 27 Feb. has a large stock of everything!
You can pay and get good quality furniture there, or be Dominican, and buy "Cheap Crap" that will be broken in 6 months.
It's your choice.
I had most of my furniture "Made-To-Order" about 15 years ago by "Peffer Muebles".
It's still great looking furniture.
I had the upolstery changed a few times,"Kids", Dogs", "Maids",Dominicans, can destroy any cloth!
I can "Hook You UP" if you want.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

devdev

May 14, 2011
criss~is ur furniture the typical "Dominican looking" furniture...im sure u prob know what I mean...lol...I usually see that in most houses here....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last year we shopped at Plaza Lama's store at 27 de Feb & Churchill, 2nd floor. Very pleasantly surprised at what we found there, many well known American furniture brands. Surprisingly, the prices were about the same as in the US too.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No, mine is "American" type/style.
You can take in a foto, or magazine, and they will make whatever you like.
Dominican furniture has been designed for over 500 years by the "Marquis de Sade"!!!!!!
Sitting on it is Pure Torture for "Gringos"!
They do, make ,and sell, "Torture Chairs" for Dominicanos.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Last year we shopped at Plaza Lama's store at 27 de Feb & Churchill, 2nd floor. Very pleasantly surprised at what we found there, many well known American furniture brands. Surprisingly, the prices were about the same as in the US too.
Plaza Lama is a good choice. IKEA is OK, but it just has that "IKEA look" but you can't beat their customer service.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

AE: It seems that Plaza Lama has good deals everywhere.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Ilumel has loads of furniture...expensive but just about anything you want. Take photos, measurements and then have CC's friend make it for you at about 1/10th the cost! Most of the furniture we own was made here. We got designs from the US (Design Center of the Americas) and the Dominican folks superbly duplicated them. Very happy with the results!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
CAUTION about IKEA. I'm actually a fan of some of their stuff, but got burned out on it years ago. I still like them for some things though. THE PROBLEM IS, ANYTHING MADE WITH PARTICLE BOARD WILL NOT LAST. I got this advice a while back here on dr1, but didn't believe it and didn't listen. I put a couple of those "floating" shelves in my L/R last fall, and they are already beginning to delaminate at the corners. The particle board interior is swelling from the humidity. Solid wood should be OK.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...are already beginning to delaminate at the corners. The particle board interior is swelling from the humidity."

Same here, bought several desks from them, all are starting to delaminate at the edges (where the arms are placed when working on the PC).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is why we only bought from ikea few sofas and honest to god metal and glass coffee table. so far so good. anything wood i have made to order from oak. and our dining set is a gift from miesposo's grandmother (RIP). mahogany. she got that well over 70 years ago as a wedding gift.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Some ikea stuff is nice because the design is modern as opposed to the horrid dominican style, but be carefull, don't buy anything that is made of timber (or appears to be), it will be done in 6 or 7 months.
plaza lama is hopeless for anything at all, anything I've ever bought there has broke within months, from baby stuff to ovens, I'd never by anything there that I wanted to last.
the best stores around with best prices can be found around Oriental, there are several decent stores on autopiste San isidro. Infact there is a place that sells high quality furniture that is solid in Coral Mall (on auto-San-isidro).
further up at the cross roads for George De-G and Auto-p-San-isi there is a huge store with a big variety, mainly Dom stuff but worth a look.
beside Banco Pop on Auto-p-San-isidro upstairs there is a floor dedicated to furniture stores, also worth a look.
infact there are just loads on Auto-piste-San-isidro, not even considering the rest of oriental.