How to apostille a foreign (Western Africa) Birth Certificate

drannjos

Jan 22, 2013
I am applying to a medical school in the DR and one of the required documents is an apostilled original birth certificate. I have one from a country in Western Africa as I was born there before Immigrating to the USA (however the country is a non-member of the Hague convention), but I am a US citizen through naturalization. So now, I don't know what is the process to get my BC apostilled. Is it a way around this, like can I use my certificate of citizenship as a substitute for my BC. Can I get it done from the US. Do you know anybody who has been in a situation similar to mine? Please any infos would be appreciated.

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
I don't think anybody here is going to be able to help you with this. You need to call the University and explain the situation to see what they will accept instead.

Be prepared to explain that since the country is not part of the convention it's IMPOSSIBLE to have the birth certificate apostilled. They will probably insist at first.

Good luck.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes,you can use your certificate of citizenship.You are now a US citizen through naturalization(adoption)
therefore your nationality is the USA.Like you,I'm a US citizen through naturalization and always use my certificate of citizenship when asked for birth certificate.

drannjos

Jan 22, 2013
Yes,you can use your certificate of citizenship.You are now a US citizen through naturalization(adoption)
therefore your nationality is the USA.Like you,I'm a US citizen through naturalization and always use my certificate of citizenship when asked for birth certificate.
Thank you gitana and bronzeallspice for your feedback. I hope they will accept my naturalization certificate as you said, have you used it in place of your BC in the DR by any chance?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Thank you gitana and bronzeallspice for your feedback. I hope they will accept my naturalization certificate as you said, have you used it in place of your BC in the DR by any chance?

One time going through immigration at the airport in Sto Dgo.I was asked for my birth certificate and I gave them my certification of citizenship and it was accepted.You'll be fine.;)

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Don't you have to get this apostile it though? It requires making USCIS appointment.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
He may have to because he needs it for employment.But at least he can use it instead of trying to get a birth certificate from West Africa,his place of birth,which is no longer needed since he's a US citizen through naturalization.

Last edited: