Essentials from USA

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Hey all,
So me and my fiance and getting ready to start packing to move down to Santo Domingo. And I wanted to get some advice on the basics that we should bring down. Please feel free to throw anything in, I'm particularly focused on electrical components and fishing gear. Our situation is my family has a house around Av Cayetano Germos?n (Jose Contreras) between Av Nu?ez de Caceres and Av Italia.
So, lets say you had the option to buy things up here for DR (whether it be inverter equipment or basic essentials) and ship them down, what would some things be?

I know this is a bit vague but I hope you all can help out.

thanks

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
leave the sink
bring some good kitchen knives and quality pots and pans

then lock them away from the help:knockedou
Manu

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Can opener, vitamins (expensive here), batteries for appliances, decent chocolate, rechargeable torches, good knives.

Matilda

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Batteries for Appliances???
You get the idea! BRING EVERYTHING! If it permits.

We even brought light bulbs. I remember going through a Ballon bought fluorescent light bulb per week, I haven't yet to replace one bought from Amazon.com yet. I am happy that we have half boxes tucked away, in a very tightly sealed with plastic wrap.
Knock wood...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Things than need batteries. Torches, transistor radios, remote controls for TVs, kids toys, alarm clocks - they are expensive here and last 2 mins.

Matilda

Also for flash lights during those wonderful apagones!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Acetemedifen, batteries, hyro-cortazone, sun block, razor blades, toothpaste, dental floss, Qtips, vitamins, insulated drink glasses, drink cozys, pineapple corer, lime sqeezer, good wine corker, hats, sunglasses, water shoes... Thats a good start.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you have titties in any other size than 36B bring bras. buy more and bring those too. a whole suitcase. mark my words.

devdev

May 14, 2011
dv8 ~ omg soooo true!!! I had a baby so I went out to buy all new bras (as of course my boobs grew lol) do u think I could even find one!!!???? nope! and nothing is properly in order in the stores... its just all mixed together....still no bra :( -----LTsteve..I agree with u on the toiletries for sure!!! and medications!

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Pillows, tools especially if into DIY, knives and sharpener, good frying pans
AND "nice things", old mirrors, your art deco vase, thyat cut glass bowl etc etc

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for all the responses!! Quick question, how is ordering things online? Outside of the shipping cost, does it still work like it would anywhere else?