Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should stay in DR or move back to US?

I have been presented with the opportunity to study/move back to the US (I am currently in 11th grade here in DR), the problem is that I don't really what to do since I also have the option of staying here and getting into UTESA or maybe even PUCMM. I have asked some adults for advice but most of them tell me to get my education in the US and to live there because "things are getting worse here and many college grads that manage to get a job here end up working with a low salary or end up moving to the US anyways". I really saw myself living here for the rest of my life ( I really like the dominican lifestyle...and the girls...). Now, I have been told that the cheaper way to get into a university in the States is to get a state residency where the university is located although for this you are usually required to prove that you have lived in that state for at least 1 year so if I plan on moving it would be a smarter idea to finish highschool (senior year) and claim state residency at the end of my first year living there (Georgia).

If I somehow were to know that I am going to be succesful here I would definitely stay here but for this I would need to be really good in the area of my choice or know politicans or something. I know too many people that ended up moving to the States due to better life quality, job opportunities (etc...) and I really don't want to make a decision I would later regret just because of my infatuation with this country.

Where do you see DR headed to 10-20 years from now? Should I move? Should I stay? Which is the better idea?

P.S. I am an American teenager born from Dominican parents and can obtain dual citizenship and I love this country! (except for the fact that you need lots of cash to live comfortable here :P).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting quandary. There is no "better" idea. Wherever you decide to go, never stop learning. Good luck, young man.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This sure is quite the quandary! But isn't getting educated in the US less riskier than staying here (in terms of being succesful).

Do you think that perhaps my bilingual skills could prove useful to me here?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you planning on studying?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I really have no idea yet.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

college degree from the US=being able to work almost anywhere in the world
    college degree from the DR= being able to work only in the DR
    Hmmm

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can always come back and live in DR after studying in the US. And even studying abroad doesn't guarantee a high paid job in DR, I know several people graduated in Spain or USA that earn less than 100,000 pesos per month, imagine when you only graduate from a local university.

8. Likes bronzeallspice, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandc View Post
    (in terms of being succesful)
    What does successful mean to you?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

To earn enough to able to have my own house, start a family, live comfortably, and to be able to start a business here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the US, get your education and then decide.

Lots of successful Dominicans have done that, including Leonel Fernandez. Getting his education in the US has not hampered him, it has helped him to become a player on the world stage.

The DR is a very small country and there are already too many professionals in many fields.

I believe your chances of future success are much better if you go to the US for your education.

12. Likes Eandc, NY2DR, frank12, bilko, Africaida and 3 others liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast