Should stay in DR or move back to US?

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
I have been presented with the opportunity to study/move back to the US (I am currently in 11th grade here in DR), the problem is that I don't really what to do since I also have the option of staying here and getting into UTESA or maybe even PUCMM. I have asked some adults for advice but most of them tell me to get my education in the US and to live there because "things are getting worse here and many college grads that manage to get a job here end up working with a low salary or end up moving to the US anyways". I really saw myself living here for the rest of my life ( I really like the dominican lifestyle...and the girls...). Now, I have been told that the cheaper way to get into a university in the States is to get a state residency where the university is located although for this you are usually required to prove that you have lived in that state for at least 1 year so if I plan on moving it would be a smarter idea to finish highschool (senior year) and claim state residency at the end of my first year living there (Georgia).

If I somehow were to know that I am going to be succesful here I would definitely stay here but for this I would need to be really good in the area of my choice or know politicans or something. I know too many people that ended up moving to the States due to better life quality, job opportunities (etc...) and I really don't want to make a decision I would later regret just because of my infatuation with this country.

Where do you see DR headed to 10-20 years from now? Should I move? Should I stay? Which is the better idea?

P.S. I am an American teenager born from Dominican parents and can obtain dual citizenship and I love this country! (except for the fact that you need lots of cash to live comfortable here :p).

Dec 26, 2011
Interesting quandary. There is no "better" idea. Wherever you decide to go, never stop learning. Good luck, young man.

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
This sure is quite the quandary! But isn't getting educated in the US less riskier than staying here (in terms of being succesful).

Do you think that perhaps my bilingual skills could prove useful to me here?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You can always come back and live in DR after studying in the US. And even studying abroad doesn't guarantee a high paid job in DR, I know several people graduated in Spain or USA that earn less than 100,000 pesos per month, imagine when you only graduate from a local university.

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
To earn enough to able to have my own house, start a family, live comfortably, and to be able to start a business here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Go to the US, get your education and then decide.

Lots of successful Dominicans have done that, including Leonel Fernandez. Getting his education in the US has not hampered him, it has helped him to become a player on the world stage.

The DR is a very small country and there are already too many professionals in many fields.

I believe your chances of future success are much better if you go to the US for your education.

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
This is one of the reasons that make me consider leaving, although this how I look at it:
life in usa = less exiciting, boring, different culture but better education and better life quality.
life here = surrounded by family, life is more fun (perhaps) and more.

Dec 26, 2011
This is one of the reasons that make me consider leaving, although this how I look at it:
life in usa = less exiciting, boring, different culture but better education and better life quality.

Life is about trade-offs and compromises. Happiness is about being at peace with them.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You have the opportunity that many wish for. Take advantage of this opportunity, it will benefit you in the long run.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Is life really more exciting here? I don't think you know.

You will be a more rounded, better educated person, with more options if you go to the US, make the adjustment to another culture, and get the education you can get there and not here.

If you stay, your world will be the Dominican Republic. That may seem like enough to you now, but will it be enough 10 or 15 years from now? If you go to the US and make good use of the time, your horizons will be much wider. Then if you decide to return to the DR, it will be because you want to, not because you have no other choice.

Good luck in whatever you decide. And i hope you will keep us informed.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Let your vision be world embracing son. the whole Earth is your country! My college and university education in the US has opened doors in a few countries that only the elite here has access to. If I have graduated in DR, in my case, without a padrino, a last name, or a general in my family I would not have made it. Ken, speaks the truth, "I believe your chances of future success are much better if you go to the US for your education."Now, if I were young like you, I'll be learning Mandarin" Good luck and God bless!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
If you really merit it, even the best universities in the U.S. will make it economically possible for you to attend. It doesn't have to be a state school; actually getting a lot of financial assistance is often more possible in the most expensive institutions with large endowments for student aid.

A degree from an American university is no guarantee of a good job though. That takes hard work, dedication, and personal drive.

NY2DR

Nov 21, 2009

I agree with others have mentioned already, you should go back to the US for the education and major in something that will help you excel in the D.R after you graduate. One option since your not sure what you want to do is something in the computer field that will allow you to work online so you can come back to live here yet still have a US employer *US salary* working overseas. You're obviously still young so D.R and all the good stuff that comes with it (including the girls) will still be here. Prime education & money first!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What you need to consider before making any decisions is the cost of education in the States. If your family isn't very wealthy you will more than likely need to go to a community college for two years before transferring to a university. This is what I did.

Also, even being a resident one is probably looking at US25,000 a year or much more for tuition, books and expenses. The advantage of studying at PUCMM is it is much cheaper, especially if you have a place to live, plus you could still be able to be a licensed professional in the States, such as a doctor or an engineer.

BTW, I am in a masters program in PUCMM.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

this is not the appropriate juncture in your life at which to place a premium on fun. fun is good, but youth is for preparation for fun, which should come later.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What you need to consider before making any decisions is the cost of education in the States. If your family isn't very wealthy you will more than likely need to go to a community college for two years before transferring to a university. This is what I did.

Also, even being a resident one is probably looking at US25,000 a year or much more for tuition, books and expenses. The advantage of studying at PUCMM is it is much cheaper, especially if you have a place to live, plus you could still be able to be a licensed professional in the States, such as a doctor or an engineer.

BTW, I am in a masters program in PUCMM.

yeah. PUCMM. ranks number 5250 in the world. it will look really nice on your resume in the event that you need to get a job in the USA.