Going to University - how does it work in DR?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Always thinking about the possibilities for my son I would like to know what are the steps to go to University?

Now he is in the Colegio Calasanz which goes until "octavo", what comes after that? Secundario (4 years)?

I mean one does not go immediately from the Colegio to the University. Can somebody explain that to me please?

Thanks

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes, you do. After Colegio (high school) you go straight to university.

Primaria - 6 years
Intermediate - 2 years
Bachillerato - 4 years

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
caribmike, it is pretty much the same as in the US if you're familiar with that system. Your kid goes to school from primary to intermediate and finally to secondary school. That is:

• Primary = 1st-6th grades
  • intermediate = 7th & 8th grades
  • Secondary = 9th - 12th grades or High School, better known here as "1ro-4to de bachillerato"
After High School or (Bachillerato) then they can enroll in the University. The University here is the same as college in the USA. Most of the accredited degrees programs offered here in DR are undergrad equivalent to either a Bachelor in Art or Science (BA or BS). Some universities here also offer Master programs. After the undergrad problem is completed. Most programs take about for years to complete providing the curriculum or (pensum) is followed.

If you have any further questions please ask.

NotLurking

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Today I was told Calasanz offers until 2? de Bachillerato... which made me opening this thread since I was asking myself where to put my son for 3ro and 4to de Bachillerato. We are in Bavaro.

Universities PC / Higuey / La Romana?

I had another thread a while ago. Now I found it again :)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Something tells me you'll be we'll settled back into European life by the time this comes around. I know when it comes to this point of my daughters life, I will make sure her options are kept open throughout life. I have no thought for a second she will not want to work here, so why restrict her options by educating her here. Schooling? Fine. Uni? Too important to mess about with.
POur kids need brilliant education these days, it's not like when I was a lad and we could walk into apprenticeships etc, or even start in a training position and work up. Entry level is so high now, you need to be at a level to get anywhere. I'm not sure she would get that here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Today I was told Calasanz offers until 2? de Bachillerato... which made me opening this thread since I was asking myself where to put my son for 3ro and 4to de Bachillerato. We are in Bavaro.
How old is your son? Is the school not planning to add on classes as the students move up? Otherwise you will have to look at the other schools in the area: B?varo Bilingual, Dominico-Cambridge, PCIS and Heritage.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yeah, that all is part of what I am thinking too. Our options are staying (here in PC or depending on the University moving to the Jarabacoa/Santiago area)
OR
trying to get into the US via my wife's mother (US citizen)
OR
going to Europe (Germany - where learning German for my boy might be an issue; he is more into Spanish and English...- or Spain).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
How old is your son? Is the school not planning to add on classes as the students move up? Otherwise you will have to look at the other schools in the area: B?varo Bilingual, Dominico-Cambridge, PCIS and Heritage.

He is 10 y/o. I have to check if the school will do that. I hope so.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I wouldn't worry about that too much, Germans are fantastic with languages, second to none in my experience, so as long as he has your bloodlines he will pick it up in a flash! I'm in the same boat, it's not an easy decision, but it will be the most important one you make in your child's future.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The preferred scenario is staying in the DR and build something for him what he can use later on to make a living.

Luckily he will inherit (he is not only an "only child", but an "only grandchild" and "only nephew" too, :)) some property in Germany from my family's side and some in NYC and here in the DR from my wife's mother one day which should contribute to generate income for him.

But not calculating or planning with that, the best possible education here for him is our first priority.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yeh, but that's not what is important, I've seen my friends kids go off the rails because they knew they would have it easy. The worst thing you could do is make him aware of how lucky he is, and will be! I told my wife if she ever kills me the our daughter gets everything, I told my daughter her mother has all the money, which actually isn't far from the truth. Our daughter will inherit more from her do inican family than she will from me and my side.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I agree. Nope, he doesn't know. Well, he knows he is the "only" but with 10 years he doesn't think about inheriting something etc. "Minecraft" is far more important to him atm, lol.

Yeh, but that's not what is important, I've seen my friends kids go off the rails because they knew they would have it easy. The worst thing you could do is make him aware of how lucky he is, and will be! I told my wife if she ever kills me the our daughter gets everything, I told my daughter her mother has all the money, which actually isn't far from the truth. Our daughter will inherit more from her do inican family than she will from me and my side.