Experts on Dominican Health polcies - help.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It has always been my understanding that premiums on these policies are based on the age of the insured. We decided that we really ought to get ourselves organised with a policy. The advice of Dominican friends was to go with ARS Humano and to take it out in my wife's name. She is 50, I'm 77 and our daughter 7, all next birthday.
This she did yesterday. She was asked for her and my cedulas and daughter's birth certificate. She had to pay an inscription/registration fee of DOP 1500 and to pay the same amount each month. She had it confirmed to her that all three of us were fully covered, to come into force when our "targetas" were issued, supposedly by the end of the month.
I have read through the the booklet to the best of my Spanish ability. All coverage is on a % basis with no not obvious exceptions except very high cost treatments not covered in full for the first 12 months.

The statement at the back of the booklet clearly states "? Incluir a tus dependientes en el PDSS no te cuesta nada !"

What's the catch ? Nowhere could I have got medical insurance at that price anywhere else I asked in the world.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
PDSS in humano is a very basic plan. probably the lowest you can get with most limited cobertura.

i am not sure on your question here. are you asking if you are included too? yes, because: La afiliaci?n al PDSS es de cobertura familiar. Adem?s del empleado (titular) tendr? acceso a las atenciones m?dicas su c?nyuge, sean casados o en uni?n libre, los hijos e hijastros menores de 18 a?os o menores de 21 a?os, si fueran estudiantes o sin l?mite de edad si son discapacitados.

oh, and it's tarjetas, not targetas. a common mistake here :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My experience came when I was teaching at a private school in the DR and supposedly covered by their group health plan. The insurance company sent me to doctor after doctor for a pre insurance physical. After asking around I found that it was age related. When I saw what they were doing I told the doctor and she said not to worry and that she would include a letter that would end the nonsense. They only wanted to insure people who had no health issues. I had none but they did not want to believe it. I got the coverage and there was never a problem.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wait for tarjetas to arrive. then give them a call and check your own coverage. the more i think about the more strange it sounds, given your age. if you have any problem communicating with them PM me with your policy number and i will call them for you.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I just got Humano - being over 65 I had to go for a physical; blood test and dr appointment, very easily done in one morning. But had to have a physical or no insurance. I had no problem doing so as I am in great health and it was nice to see the blood tests confirm that.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Humano was the company that jerked me around. I was in perfect health. I would carefully check the coverage and exactly what is excluded. Hopefully they have reformed!