E-currency in the DR - Coming soon PICHARDO?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As some of us have noticed, PICHARDO, a suspected DR government connection created to leak tidbits of information, posts on DR1. One topic, which seems quite humorous on the surface, is the imminent arrival of E-Currency in the DR where no cash changes hands ever. I do have a few questions on this topic that may or may not have been answered before. I am sure others will have questions, but here are some questions about issues I see coming here in the first country in the world to implement such a plan far ahead of its time. And they are important questions since I live here..

1) Since all hard cash will have to disappear for this to work, how will the small business people be able to accept E-currency? From the moto concho, Guaguas, public cars to the man selling produce from the back of the pick up truck?

2) This will put all of the money changers out of business since there will be no way to take US, Canadian dollars, Euros, checks, etc to a money exchanger to get the best rate on that money. The DR government will now be in the middle of all Forex exchanges as I see it. And that will mean a lower exchange rate because the government will have its hand in the till. Am I wrong?

3) Those of us that live here fully understand how dangerous and fool hardy it is to use out of county credit cards in the DR because of the extremely high rate of fraud in the central offices where the transactions are processed. After having problems twice here with credit card fraud I do not use my US based cards at all in the DR. How are tourists going to be affected when they cannot spend hard currency and they would be fool hardy to use their credit cards here?

4) PICHARDO mentioned that when the E-Currency system starts, that the DR pesos will no longer will be controlled the the DR government and will float to its own level (like 28 LOL , LOL, LOL). Why would anything change on how the government controls the FOREX rates just because everyone here has to use E-currency?

5) Pichardo also mentioned an "E-dollar" as part of the scheme. What does that mean?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hear they are planning to go to bit coins - that's why they are currently trying to lower its price

That would be par for the course here in the DR: Although bitcoin was initially promoted as a virtual currency, many commentators currently reject that claim due to bitcoin's volatile market value, relatively inflexible supply, and minimal use in trade.

So, PICHARDO, are bitcoins also part of the E-Currency plan?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As far as motoconchos etc accepting it one can buy a plug-in for a smart phone that is designed to do precisely that.
Der Fish
I hope they have better cell signal than I can find all around the DR...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Picardos expertise is photoshop, cut and past posting nice pictures of "soon to be" beautiful buildings. Why the DR just does not go to the dollar eludes me. Works for Panama and would stop all this floating peso nonsense and put the money changers and change houses out of work. And it would make it a lot more difficult for tourists to be ripped off while converting the peso. In the end it would make the DR more tourist friendly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as motoconchos etc accepting it one can buy a plug-in for a smart phone that is designed to do precisely that.
Der Fish

All motoconchos would then need smartphones with minutes and reception everywhere. Good luck with that.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Picardos expertise is photoshop, cut and past posting nice pictures of "soon to be" beautiful buildings. Why the DR just does not go to the dollar eludes me. Works for Panama and would stop all this floating peso nonsense and put the money changers and change houses out of work. And it would make it a lot more difficult for tourists to be ripped off while converting the peso. In the end it would make the DR more tourist friendly.

Simple truth is they can't... that would eliminate the ability of the govt to debase its currency and thus in the process, pay back less in real terms on any loan they take out in DR pesos..

This is basically how Greece and Cyprus got into trouble

I have looked into it in another thread and the DR uses that trick to the tune of 10% to as much as 50% over the course of the years..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Simple truth is they can't... that would eliminate the ability of the govt to debase its currency and thus in the process, pay back less in real terms on any loan they take out in DR pesos..

This is basically how Greece and Cyprus got into trouble

I have looked into it in another thread and the DR uses that trick to the tune of 10% to as much as 50% over the course of the years..

A government can only reduce the value of its currency, and the DR has for the reasons you pointed out, and not the other way around. As for a floating peso going to 28 LOL on that.

I do hope that PICHARDO does reply and responds to the issues in my OP.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
A government can only reduce the value of its currency, and the DR has for the reasons you pointed out, and not the other way around. As for a floating peso going to 28 LOL on that.

At this right moment Pichi is calling Jose who knows Manuel who knows Danilo and asking what he has to answer. ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how about cashless society functioning only on the basis of exchange of services? you know, a motoconcho gives you a ride and in return you... give him... a ride...? hmmm...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Don't worry my anxious "Chicken Littles", I promise you the sky is NOT falling! There's no way that hard currency is going away any time soon, no matter WHAT Pichardo thinks. E-commerce will continue to grow, debit cards, electronic purchases, smartphone purchase technology, etc. etc., but we'll still have paper with pretty pictures on it and little chunks of metal to put holes in our pockets for a long time to come.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

Wouldn't happen in the foreseable future - exports and toursim would be hit and the DR would die off... I like the relative stability of the Leonel/Danilo era... it's a good medium for exports and paying the energy and credit bills

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wouldn't happen in the foreseable future - exports and toursim would be hit and the DR would die off... I like the relative stability of the Leonel/Danilo era... it's a good medium for exports and paying the energy and credit bills

I agree with the potential damage such a change could cause to tourism. But remember, as PICHARDO has said frequently, tourism is not a major consideration in the Dominican Republic when the government does anything.

As for it not happening in the foreseeable future, that is what I thought about the METRO and PICHARDO has said the E-currency will happen soon. So I am just asking for clarification on that "soon".