Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Businesses needed in dr.

what are some businesses that are needed in Dr.
    things that are very expensive compared to the prices of the same item in the us.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usa2dr View Post
    things that are very expensive compared to the prices of the same item in the us.
    Everything except booze, bananas and brothels.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to run an IT consulting firm in DR. Not sure if there's a need for it outside Santo Domingo though.

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by london777 View Post
    Everything except booze, bananas and brothels.
    don't forget pan de agua

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_NYC View Post
    I would love to run an IT consulting firm in DR. Not sure if there's a need for it outside Santo Domingo though.
    Why can't you work remotely in DR with US clients?

6. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A business where the source of revenue comes from outside of the DR .......

8. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

listen. there is nothing, i repeat - NOTHING - you cannot get in DR. granted, you will need money to get it. but then those who want fancy stuff have money. and those who simply want whatever they miss from home have other means to get it.

if something here is expensive in DR and cheap elsewhere there is a reason for it. transport, shipping, taxes, insurance, storage, you name it. lots of things come into play when you decide to import things. and they you also want to make a profit on the top of all those costs. and since you went through all this pain you want a decent profit to make up for the constipation, stomach ulcers and sleepless nights after you fought bureaucrats every step of the way.

granted, there are some things with truly idiotic prices. a nivea cream is about 100 pesos in a large supermarket in poland (detail price, wholesale it is even less). yet it costs nearly 600 pesos in DR. no amount of taxes and transport costs can justify that. but you know what can? little demand. they bring small quantity and they want to make money on it, as much as possible. but should they bring more, a lot more, they could sell more for less and still make money on it. but then look at dominican supermarkets: four aisles of hair products and one shelf of face creams. i dunno. maybe dominicans like their crema blaqueadora more than nivea products. and maybe foreigners, like myself, do not even look at this pathetic choice and they buy online or stock up whenever they travel back home.

if you want a business in DR you cannot think in categories of: what people want. people want different things. look at what you can do, and do better than others. and then think if that has any relevance to dominican reality. do not ask dr1ers. all we want is cheap ass, breakfast sausage links and nivea cream.

10. Likes usa2dr, bayaguanaman liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"Tambo" has it right,...yet again!
    Some DR1ers I know make a living of the internet from here in "Paradise"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Major448 View Post
    A business where the source of revenue comes from outside of the DR .......
    or, a business that cannot function without your secret proprietary knowledge. the Dominican business model is to sit around and wait until someone comes up with a successful idea, then replicate it everywhere. sometimes, you will actually find your business taken over by this generalissimo, or that. if you can devise something with a secret formula, you stand a chance of sorts. even then, they might displace you and try it themselves, because they think your success is occasioned by the location.

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    listen. there is nothing, i repeat - NOTHING - you cannot get in DR. granted, you will need money to get it. but then those who want fancy stuff have money. and those who simply want whatever they miss from home have other means to get it.

if something here is expensive in DR and cheap elsewhere there is a reason for it. transport, shipping, taxes, insurance, storage, you name it. lots of things come into play when you decide to import things. and they you also want to make a profit on the top of all those costs. and since you went through all this pain you want a decent profit to make up for the constipation, stomach ulcers and sleepless nights after you fought bureaucrats every step of the way.

granted, there are some things with truly idiotic prices. a nivea cream is about 100 pesos in a large supermarket in poland (detail price, wholesale it is even less). yet it costs nearly 600 pesos in DR. no amount of taxes and transport costs can justify that. but you know what can? little demand. they bring small quantity and they want to make money on it, as much as possible. but should they bring more, a lot more, they could sell more for less and still make money on it. but then look at dominican supermarkets: four aisles of hair products and one shelf of face creams. i dunno. maybe dominicans like their crema blaqueadora more than nivea products. and maybe foreigners, like myself, do not even look at this pathetic choice and they buy online or stock up whenever they travel back home.

if you want a business in DR you cannot think in categories of: what people want. people want different things. look at what you can do, and do better than others. and then think if that has any relevance to dominican reality. do not ask dr1ers. all we want is cheap ass, breakfast sausage links and nivea cream.
    i see you have decided to flagellate me over the breakfast sausage thing. is this some cyberspace S and M ritual?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast