Your source of income?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
Hey dr1ners I was just wondering what the main source of income was for all of you?

-self employed in dr
-internet
-employed for company based outside of dr
-small business
-retired / savings
-other

I read a poll on this site that said that most of you are employed in dr. I didint think that was acurate, but if it is someone please explain it to me. thanks also open to tips or other comment about sources of income in dr. thanks have a blesses day.

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bUxYq2K-zXA" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>..........................

I am not going to be able to see this link untill i get home. youtube links are blocked here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh. i see. you only want responses that go your way... you are up for a surprise, boy. we have threads from expat wannabes all the time: what do you do? where all your money comes from?
the thing is, no one can live your life for you. no one can make your decisions for you.

i already told you: find something you do well. think how to translate that into dominican reality. will it work here? what will you need to make it work? time? how long? money? how much? additional courses/education? can i do it?

learning what we do will give you nothing. you cannot do the same. think what YOU can do. and then do it.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hey dr1ners I was just wondering what the main source of income was for all of you?

-self employed in dr
-internet
-employed for company based outside of dr
-small business
-retired / savings
-other

I read a poll on this site that said that most of you are employed in dr. I didint think that was acurate, but if it is someone please explain it to me. thanks also open to tips or other comment about sources of income in dr. thanks have a blesses day.

Keep in mind that most posters don't actually live in DR full time, myself included. Do you only want information from full-time expats, or from snowbirds and medium-to-long-term vacationers as well?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
@dv8: I admire your patience. To myself I just say: Why bother? ;)

oh. i see. you only want responses that go your way... you are up for a surprise, boy. we have threads from expat wannabes all the time: what do you do? where all your money comes from?
the thing is, no one can live your life for you. no one can make your decisions for you.

i already told you: find something you do well. think how to translate that into dominican reality. will it work here? what will you need to make it work? time? how long? money? how much? additional courses/education? can i do it?

learning what we do will give you nothing. you cannot do the same. think what YOU can do. and then do it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
@dv8: I admire your patience. To myself I just say: Why bother? ;)

i bother :) the dude is young. i was young too, once. he has a dream. but he needs a good slap. because to make this dream come true he has to work for it. no one will fulfill it for him.

or maybe i am getting softer around the edges?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

He's just jealous I can make a living out of my sexual prowess...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
He's just jealous I can make a living out of my sexual prowess...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sUqGL4yI-jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>................... :)

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
i just want to get an understanding on how you all do it. I dont want to copy the things you all do.

Look at it from my pov . I just want good information so i can plan a move to the dr within two years. From what i have seen you all have very good information and i really do think all your tips help me make a plan that i can stick to and one that will work for me.

Thats the last thing i want to do. You know live the life of another. I left nyc when i was 18 for the Navy and now I am ready to move on to the next thing stage.

usa2dr

Apr 14, 2013
Dv8 i dont need a slap. I know its not easy, if it was easy i wouldnt have to be planing years ahead of me even moving to the country. if anything give me some points for plaining and trying plot out how others do. so that i can plot out a plan that would work for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
roughly you have 4 groups of people:
the biggest is old folks living off pension, sale/rent of their property at home or some form of benefits.
then we have those who work in DR. call centers, own businesses, tourist companies and so on.
then we have those who live off their jobs/businesses elsewhere and live in DR part time.
finally, lastly, we have those who work over the internet. journalists, translators, IT and so on.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
i just want to get an understanding on how you all do it. I dont want to copy the things you all do.

Look at it from my pov . I just want good information so i can plan a move to the dr within two years. From what i have seen you all have very good information and i really do think all your tips help me make a plan that i can stick to and one that will work for me.

Thats the last thing i want to do. You know live the life of another. I left nyc when i was 18 for the Navy and now I am ready to move on to the next thing stage.

Friend, the best recipe to live an unfulfilling and unhappy life is to try to do what others are doing, "because it works". Everything works if you have the talent to make it work. The opposite is true, also.
If you are in DR, look around, make a lot of friends in different fields and great ideas will come by themselves.
To answer your original question, I work for a foreign company, but that's not why I do OK in DR. The real reason is that I love what I do, and would do it even if I couldn't make ends meet, in which case I'd find something else on the side.
I don't mean to preach, but you really need to have a tougher skin if you want to make it in DR1, and even tougher if you want to survive in DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.