Baked beans

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Hi everyine, and good evening, do any of you know where I can purchase baked beans please?:laugh:

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
:classic:Why not just bake them yourself?
Soak navy beans overnight with a bay leaf for flavor.
In the morning drain the beans, put in a pot with fresh cold water and a chopped onion.
Simmer for about one and 1/2 hours.
Drain, place in a casserole and have some fun.
Here's what I do........
Add chopped celery, onion and garlic plus one new bay leaf.
Add dijon mustard, tomato ketchup, hot sauce, molasses and a dash or two of worcestershire sauce.
Add chicken or beef stock and if it's available half a beer.
Some black pepper, oregano, allspice, coffee, and cacao to taste.
Gently mix, cover and bake in oven at more or less 250 degrees for 4 to 5 hours.
Great for a Sunday afternoon.

Leftover friendly.

Last edited:

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Canned baked beans, used to want them, campbells, to make beans and wienies could only find the small expensive cans, yes either La Sirena and La Nacional,

Homemade really is the best, just find the right recipe or if your winging it, make notes so when u hit the perfect combo u can repeat it.

also I have seen Bushes Brand at La Nacional, in the Mexican food section for some reason like many things only understood by locals.

g'luck

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Hundreds of recipes for Boston baked beans on the internet , molasses based , fairly simple to make and you don't have to bake them if you don't want to.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We love Heinz Baked Beans. A bit more expensive but absolutely reliable, we buy via the internet direct from the UK.

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
hi Bronze what internet site do you use, I have looked many times but the shipping is crazy xx

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"JD" got his, and I got "MINE"!
I got them a month or more ago at the "Super Mercado National",Arroyo Hondo" store!
I'll check for them "Manana".(Then Buy Them ALL, if they have them!)
Being from Boston, I like "B&M", and/or "Friends" the best, but, ",in-a-pinch", a "Little BUSH" ain't too bad!
"Campbell's" is just,"mush in catchup", best to not waste time, or money on them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I you MUST have "Heinz", order them from the USA, on Amazon.com.
I guess I'll ship some "Boston Beans" next box I send to "SD".
I'll "trade" them on the "DR1 Swap Meet" thread!
What would you give for some "Real Lobster"?????

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you eat enough, you will have a "BM" every morning!
"JD" so you are a "Mutard" guy?????
You know what the say, "You may be too old to "Cut-The-Mustard", but you are NEVER,"Too Old To :lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:The Jar!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Well!! I thought I would give you an update and thank you all for your advice and recipes. This evening I got my hubby to drive me all the way to the Nacional recommended by Chris Colon.... no baked beans, !!! chilli beans etc but no basic baked beans and none of the the brands that were suggested, Three hours later and 6000 pesos spent in Nacional, only went for beans lol, we have arrived home and I am a very disappointed expat!

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
the one in Arrayo Hondo, I did buy La Costena Frijoles Charros con tocino, chicharron and chorizo, have not tried them yet. They have no saturated fat, sugar and are low salt, so will try for my tea today I think. I have been fancying beans but also want them because I need to loose weight for a big operation on my leg. Would appreciate if I could be in boxed if you see any there in the future x