Sosua History

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha, i thought the same ;) electricity AND water!

quite interesting data in this document, including some numbers. i wonder whether pesos or dollars? and does it matter? i was told that for a long time 1 dollar was worth 1 peso, is that true?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
ha ha, i thought the same ;) electricity AND water!

quite interesting data in this document, including some numbers. i wonder whether pesos or dollars? and does it matter? i was told that for a long time 1 dollar was worth 1 peso, is that true?

Yes. Under Trujillo.

It stayed there until 1985. That year (October) I recall buying two packs of MonteCarlo cigarettes for one peso and fifty centavos. Two years later in 1987 those two packs cost a whole TWO PESOS FIFTY CENTAVOS! Wow!

wbr

Last edited:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
hold on, peso was equal with a dollar for decades?

Yes. Dictators can do all sorts of things if they want to. Afterwards, according to popular wisdom, the controlling families were able to keep it there for a while. I only got a Cin economics in university so I can't say more than what I was aware of. There's a thread somewhere that deals with the economic upsets since 2008 and some people on that seemed to be very knowledgeable. I'll look for it later.

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The story of Sosua is truly amazing...and it puts some of the "heated" discussions here on DR1 into an interesting perspective...

If you're in Sosua or planning on going I HIGHLY recommend visiting the Jewish Museum...they have an awesome display of photos, documents and artifacts from the original settlers...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yes. Dictators can do all sorts of things if they want to. Afterwards, according to popular wisdom, the controlling families were able to keep it there for a while. I only got a Cin economics in university so I can't say more than what I was aware of. There's a thread somewhere that deals with the economic upsets since 2008 and some people on that seemed to be very knowledgeable. I'll look for it later.
In those days, the foreign debt was "0". Ah, the good old days.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Sosua's Jewish immigrants came as early as during WWII when the great liberal emancipator Franklin Roosevelt refused to let the "Exodus" ships land or even provision in US ports, but he reportedly forced Trujillo to take them in if he ever wanted to see his bordello in NYC again.

If you like cheese or yogurt, you can thank the CILCA Sosua cooperative for popularizing it in DR due to their industriousness.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
There are two very good books one is called Tropical Zion and I can't remember the second. When I get home I will post the second book. Both are great books and a must read.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Sosua's Jewish immigrants came as early as during WWII when the great liberal emancipator Franklin Roosevelt refused to let the "Exodus" ships land or even provision in US ports, but he reportedly forced Trujillo to take them in if he ever wanted to see his bordello in NYC again.

If you like cheese or yogurt, you can thank the CILCA Sosua cooperative for popularizing it in DR due to their industriousness.

Actually, At the Evian conference which was hosted by Roosevelt to help with the flood of refuges flooding Europe out the The Third Reich, only the D.R. was willing to accept high number ( even though that many never got the visas) . This was done to help the world image of Trujillo after the Haitian massacre on the border.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"I remember back in the early 80's when a bunch of us bought pesos when they went up to 4/1. We were all sure it would drop again, and we'd realize a nice little profit. So much for that brain fart."

You're a bold man to admit that JDJ.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
With all the support they had from the Jewish Organization what happened with the Jewish settlers? Why didn't the Jewish community grow?

Mr Hess used to talk sometimes about that, he preceded the Jewish influx and then came to Sosua to 'help out'. Apparently none of them were farmers and although some learned fast, many preferred to move on to other countires where they could go back to being whatever they were befoe Hitler interfered with their lives . . .

But Jewish features are still evident amongst the people of Sosua. I'd attach some images here, but I'm too lazy to learn how. Just look around though. Even some of the names I think . . . Guzzman sounds a bit jewish for example.

Try this for starters: The Dominican Republic's Haven for Jewish Refugees

But there are lots of other resources out there, most of them reasonably accurate.

wbr

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
But Jewish features are still evident amongst the people of Sosua. I'd attach some images here, but I'm too lazy to learn how. Just look around though. Even some of the names I think . . . Guzzman sounds a bit jewish for example.
Guzm?n is a fairly common surname in Spain. It's not usually flagged as having Jewish origins though. It's said to be of Visigoth origin. I think the Sosua Jewish family names that are still around include Roth, Katz and Neumann.